Premed 101 Forums

Odd background - looking for advice

Hey guys, I'm about as non-trad as they come and I'm looking for some advice.

My situation: Finished a music degree in 2007 (Bmus UofT) and spent a few years playing. I toured a bit, taught part-time and recorded a few records (not on a major label but won a few grants and have some decent Canadian/US press).

In 2010, I decided to take some med prereqs at U of T as a part-time non-degree student (2 courses/semester: 1st year bio, organic chem 1+2, physical chem 1+2, biochem 2+3).

BMus 2007 (full time U of T): cGPA 3.81 (1st-4th 3.69, 3.92, 3.68, 3.97)

Prereqs 2012 (part time U of T): GPA 3.95

MCAT 2011: PS12 VR12 BS10 Q

CV: live radio, music festivals, some press, teaching experience, currently volunteering at a hospital

So:

Will the BMus hurt me/how much? I know theoretically all degrees are equal but I'm wondering if there is an unspoken bias against 'soft' disciplines

How much is the whole part time prereq thing going to hurt me?

I am applying this summer. Should I be enrolling in more science courses this Fall? Part time? Full time?

Hey guys, I'm about as non-trad as they come and I'm looking for some advice.

My situation: Finished a music degree in 2007 (Bmus UofT) and spent a few years playing. I toured a bit, taught part-time and recorded a few records (not on a major label but won a few grants and have some decent Canadian/US press).

In 2010, I decided to take some med prereqs at U of T as a part-time non-degree student (2 courses/semester: 1st year bio, organic chem 1+2, physical chem 1+2, biochem 2+3).

BMus 2007 (full time U of T): cGPA 3.81 (1st-4th 3.69, 3.92, 3.68, 3.97)

Prereqs 2012 (part time U of T): GPA 3.95

MCAT 2011: PS12 VR12 BS10 Q

CV: live radio, music festivals, some press, teaching experience, currently volunteering at a hospital

So:

Will the BMus hurt me/how much? I know theoretically all degrees are equal but I'm wondering if there is an unspoken bias against 'soft' disciplines

How much is the whole part time prereq thing going to hurt me?

I am applying this summer. Should I be enrolling in more science courses this Fall? Part time? Full time?

To answer your questions:

1. I think you BMus will help you much more than hurt you! It makes you stand out for sure and you have a great GPA. You evidence your aptitude for sciences via your great science courses GPA as well as your MCAT score.

2. Doing your pre-reqs part time will not hurt you at all. As long as you did your degree full time, it doesn't matter when you did you pre-reqs.

3. As for whether you should be applying for more science courses this summer, I think it depends on whether you want to apply more broadly next year if you don't get in this year. Personally, I wouldn't do it full time unless you had nothing else to do.

Also, your ECs are amazing too - maybe you could try to get some more medically related ones (i.e. to I guess show that you do understand what it means to be a doctor) since volunteering at the hospital is pretty much done by everyone and people tend not to get the best experiences from it (unless you are getting a chance work very closely with doctors or something). But thats getting really picky.

Honestly, I think you are going to be an amazing candidate and major competition for me and other non-trads applying this year!

Well done on your undergrad marks and smooth transition to high science prereq marks and high MCAT score.

I think you will get a nice selection of interviews.

I agree with Kasianut, that is trying to get in some more health related volunteering that exposes to doctors more, not just handing our water or newspapers in the ER waiting room. Also you could try and set up a 1-3 day MD shadowing experience. I shadowed an ER doctor that I knew through karate class. Although your application is very strong and different which will help you stand out it would be nice to have some of the fundamental activities so you can back up your wish to pursue med with some concrete experiences rather than just romantic notions of being a doctor.

Good luck ... I think you will be successful.

Guys, we need to stop encouraging him/her (unless I get in this year of course, then I don't care)!

Standing out is never a bad thing. As important as good marks, mcat and all that is, there are a ton of applicants who meet those standards. That is why U of T rejects 4.0 applicants with a list of ECs every year. Plus, the fact that you had a career/life before medicine shows that you have come to your decision to pursue medicine organically and have likely reflected on it a little more than most applicants. Your music degree also means that you think differently than science majors and bring something different to the table. Like everyone else said, all you need is a little patient contact to show you are aware of what health care environments entail and you are golden.

Guys, we need to stop encouraging him/her (unless I get in this year of course, then I don't care)!

Yes unfortunately it will only get more and more competitive. With the job market for many other professions diving and medicine still giving a nice lifestyle despite likely stagnant income growth and some difficulty getting jobs in high saturated areas .... it will still be a go to profession.

It is best to get in as so as possible and get out as soon as possible too ...

Kozzubb - I think you might find things complicated because of the part-time work you've done since graduating. If you just had your BMus plus your MCAT score, you'd have had quite a good chance of getting in.

I'm not sure how schools are going to look at your more recent coursework. You'll want to e-mail Western, Queen's, McMaster, and U of T to figure this out (those are probably the 4 schools you have the most reasonable chance at). I would also e-mail University of Calgary and Dalhousie since you should have a shot at both of those places too.

Hopefully those 2 years don't disqualify you from many schools, but given your unique circumstance I would e-mail them directly.

Archived