Premed 101 Forums

Carms 2006 qouta numbers

Guest extrachromasome

Guest extrachromasome

Does anyone know where i can find the numbers of residency spots through Carms for 2006. Carms haven't put the quotas on their website this year. Was there much change to 2005?

Thanks

Check each individual program on the Carms website.. it will give you an approximate quota... then add them up from all of the programs in the same specialty. This will give you an approximate quota and you can compare it to last year's stats.

Guest therealcrackers

The numbers for Ontario schools' total residency spots will go up 1:1 with the increasing number of med school graduates this year (more at Ottawa, more at UWO, a couple of others as well). Numbers for CaRMS are generally finalized around the end of January (some schools have competitions for unallocated residency positions); check the individual programs on CaRMS website for the current (and possible changes to) residency quota.

Any idea if the vast majority of new spots will be going to family medicine, or will it be roughly in the same proportion that they are now between family vs. subspecialties?

Guest therealcrackers

Dunno. New spots are supposed to be in 60 specialty: 40 family proportion, but for the next little while I would not be surprised to see a bigger jump in the number of family spots.

• 1 month later...
Guest UWOMED2005

21 spots in Plastics. . .

Wow.

Seems to me some of the "uber-competitive" specialties have essentially doubled their spaces. Does this mean they lose their cachet?

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

I was actually considering calgary. I think there are some real benefits to being in a new program, although i think there are some real negatives too..:)

CC

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Lactic,

You are very right! But even so some of the traditionally smaller programs have grown, not considering the french prgrams.

CC

Guest marbledust

I don't know about other schools, but Calgary has slowly been introducing a number of the smaller, more competitive programs. Over the past few years new residency programs in Rad Onc, PMR, and ENT have been established. Ophtho and cardiac surgery will begin this July. Haven't heard though, if Derm is coming to our fair city :)

Archived