Premed 101 Forums

Getting Reference Letters for CaRMS

Guest MDHopeful04

Guest MDHopeful04

Hello all,

I'm in my 2nd year at McMaster now and am thinking about CaRMS applications already.

I am interested in pursing a career in Emergency Medicine (FRCP).

Typically, when doing electives in emerg, one does not work with a single preceptor. For a 4-week elective, one would be fortunate enough to work w/ the same preceptor for 4-5 shifts.

As such, would preceptors feel comfortable enough writing strong and positive reference letters for students with whom they have worked 4-5 shifts? Or is there a minimum number of shifts they require? What have your experiences been like?

Thanks!

This is a good question which has come up amongst our classmates often.

My suggestion would be to tell the electives coordinator that you are doing the elective for the purpose of getting to know the ins and outs of the program. Also, let them know that you'll be asking for a reference letter (they usually get that impression if you're doing an elective in another city between September and December of the year before you're applying). If they know, then they'll try to pair you up with the same preceptor at least 4-5 times (if not more) through the course of your four week shift, so that way, someone can get to know you and write you a stellar reference letter.

EJL

Archived