Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT grads: job market?

Any recent grads/current RPTs/OTRs out there that can talk about the job market, particularly in Ontario? Cities like Toronto, Mississauga, London, KW? I would really like to be fully informed about the profession and the job market before I step my foot in.

Thanks

The PT job market is decent in the GTA, and most graduates do find jobs, but most of the jobs are in outpatient ortho private clinics. Its hard to get into the hospitals/rehab facilities and most have to start with casual and part-time work.

You have to keep in mind though that its tough as a new grad, and most don't have full-time positions even in clinics, and often work in 2 clinics until they get enough experience. In the end its all about the connections you make during your placements that are the most important thing to getting a job.

From what I've heard the OT job market is a lot worse, and its getting really tough for a lot of new grads. Most of the positions are in the public sector and due to the budget cuts, they don't have many positions available so it takes longer to find something, and they often have to move.

Archived