Premed 101 Forums

unsolved questions

Regarding GPA conversions, by the end of this second year, I had As in all my courses, except in one course I got a B. In the Canadian GPA system I have 3.71 (27 credits were taken). But then when I used the AMCA scale posted, my calculated gpa was 3.89 :eek: ? is that how it will be assessed by US MD schools? I think I saw a post saying that US MD schools look at grades but not converted gpa?

Which US schools put more emphasis on MCAT and GPA and the least emphasis on ECs? (I couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere)

Why there is no Accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread for US DO schools?

Student Doctor Network (SDN) has a lot of information about US schools, so definitely check it out as it may answer a lot of your questions.

I see

Do you go to York by any chance? They count York's A (3.8) as A+ (4.0), so that may have accounted for the difference :)

Yes I do go to York and I'm aware of the 3.8 being 4.0, but I don't know whether this gpa is the one taken by US MD schools or do they look at grades in assesing your application. :confused:

Any input from applicants who have gone through the US application process would be greatly appreciated.

I see

Yes I do go to York and I'm aware of the 3.8 being 4.0, but I don't know whether this gpa is the one taken by US MD schools or do they look at grades in assesing your application. :confused:

Any input from applicants who have gone through the US application process would be greatly appreciated.

My gpa jumped from 3.91 omsas to like 3.99 amcas, I think most schools just look at overall gpa since they don't have the time to look at each course. At the most, they will look at the pre-reqs. Either way, the gpa you see in the amcas form will be the one they see.

• 2 weeks later...
But then when I used the AMCA scale posted, my calculated gpa was 3.89 :eek: ? is that how it will be assessed by US MD schools? I think I saw a post saying that US MD schools look at grades but not converted gpa?

Take it and fly. US schools will just look look at that cGPA determined by AMCAS, not percentage grades. It's almost like we're scamming their system, considering that at most US universities, getting a 3.7 GPA would require a 90% on their course grades :P

Which US schools put more emphasis on MCAT and GPA and the least emphasis on ECs? (I couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere)

I don't believe any do such a thing. They all care about your numbers first and foremost, it's just that the lower-tier schools have lower standards for numbers before taking a look at your ECs.

Archived