Premed 101 Forums

Reference letter

Hi. I recently finished my MSc degree and I was wondering is it a good idea to ask one of my MSc examiners to write me a recommendation letter for my med school application?

Your MSc examiners? The individuals who reviewed your thesis (i.e. internal and external examiners?) .... ?

You will want someone who has known you for some time ... perhaps a thesis supervisor with whom you have done work with over the past several years.

Yah I would be careful with an external examiner. First off they should not know you, so they would only be writing based on their two hours of examining you. Second, how did your defense go? Most get minor revisions. I would only consider it if I had a clear pass.

Your MSc examiners? The individuals who reviewed your thesis (i.e. internal and external examiners?) .... ?

You will want someone who has known you for some time ... perhaps a thesis supervisor with whom you have done work with over the past several years.

Yes, they were internal examiners and it was a clear pass with minor revisions. The feedback I got was that my thesis defense was excellent.

Seems like a weak reference letter to be honest. Sure you may have blown them away with your piece of work but can not judge you on work ethic, sustained scholastic ability that a thesis supervisor can. I believe it is better to have someone write you a letter who you have a longnitudinal working relationship with (i.e. prof, thesis supervisor, volunteer coordinator, direct supervisor) as opposed to a letter based on one event (i.e. thesis defence, internal thesis examination).

Any reasons you cant get your thesis supervisor as your reference or a prof you have had 2+ courses with?

I am just thinking of my own internal reviewer. I met her once, she attended my MPH thesis defence as well as did the internal review within 2 weeks. I also had minor revisions to be done and she was intrigued by my thesis (or so she said) but I would NOT feel comfortable choosing a near stranger to write me a letter of reference for med school.

Seems like a weak reference letter to be honest. Sure you may have blown them away with your piece of work but can not judge you on work ethic, sustained scholastic ability that a thesis supervisor can. I believe it is better to have someone write you a letter who you have a longnitudinal working relationship with (i.e. prof, thesis supervisor, volunteer coordinator, direct supervisor) as opposed to a letter based on one event (i.e. thesis defence, internal thesis examination).

Any reasons you cant get your thesis supervisor as your reference or a prof you have had 2+ courses with?

My supervisor is writing me a LOR but other professors that I had while in undegrad have retired or not with the current university. I only took 1 course in grad school.

Archived