Premed 101 Forums

2015 MCAT: Will we be at a disadvantage?

SolipsismGT

Since the new MCAT is rolling around in 2015, will the students who take it then be at a disadvantage since it'll be something completely new?

I'm taking it in 2014. In the event I need to retake it, I will do so in 2015.

It's always relative. You'll be equally at a disadvantage as the rest of the test takers as there won't be much prep material out for 2015 version.

I think you can retake it early 2015 since the new version comes out spring 2015

Thanks, I didn't know that! Is it better to take the test early or later on?

Since psychology and sociology will be added to the test, would it be a good idea to take some of those courses as an Undergrad, or will prep material be sufficient?

Thanks, I didn't know that! Is it better to take the test early or later on?

Since psychology and sociology will be added to the test, would it be a good idea to take some of those courses as an Undergrad, or will prep material be sufficient?

It's always best to take the test around busy exam time for universities as less prepared students write = scaling

It's always best to take the test around busy exam time for universities as less prepared students write = scaling

This isn't true. From the AAMC website: "Examinees often ask if earning a high score or higher percentile is easier or harder at different times of the testing year. They ask whether they have a better chance of earning a higher score in April or in August, for example. The question is based on an assumption that the exam is scored on a curve, and that a final score is dependent on how an individual performed in comparison to other examinees from the same test day or same time of year.

While there may be small differences in the MCAT exam you took compared to another examinee, the scoring process accounts for these differences so that an 8 earned on physical sciences on one exam means the same thing as an 8 earned on any other exam. The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam.

How you score on the MCAT exam, therefore, is not reflective of the particular exam you took—including the time of day, the test date, or the time of year—since any difference in difficulty level is accounted for when calculating your scale scores (see above for information about scaling).

Whatever you do, don't make a decision to test at a particular time of year because you think you will get a higher score because other examinees may not score as well—the test is not scored on a curve."

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85436/preparing_understandingscores.html

This isn't true. From the AAMC website: "Examinees often ask if earning a high score or higher percentile is easier or harder at different times of the testing year. They ask whether they have a better chance of earning a higher score in April or in August, for example. The question is based on an assumption that the exam is scored on a curve, and that a final score is dependent on how an individual performed in comparison to other examinees from the same test day or same time of year.

While there may be small differences in the MCAT exam you took compared to another examinee, the scoring process accounts for these differences so that an 8 earned on physical sciences on one exam means the same thing as an 8 earned on any other exam. The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam.

How you score on the MCAT exam, therefore, is not reflective of the particular exam you took—including the time of day, the test date, or the time of year—since any difference in difficulty level is accounted for when calculating your scale scores (see above for information about scaling).

Whatever you do, don't make a decision to test at a particular time of year because you think you will get a higher score because other examinees may not score as well—the test is not scored on a curve."

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85436/preparing_understandingscores.html

Thanks, I didn't know this was addressed by aamc

Archived