Premed 101 Forums

Match Results!!

Guest endingsoon

Guest endingsoon

I know this thread is being talked about in the mods corner, but I think it would be nice to let all the other non-mods also know how things went for us since we are all apart of this community.

Although others have already shared, I will get the ball rolling over here:

I am pleased that I got my first choice and will be an R1 in IM at the UofT next year! Whooa!

Guest MDSMelissa

Congrats to everyone, I can't imagine what a relief it must be to finally know for sure where you're going!

K8termd, I have a question for you about Mac Rural Family Med, I've sent you a message in your Ezboard inbox, if you have a chance...

Thanks,

Melissa

Guest Lara F

Congrats everyone!!!

I guess I'll be entering the race next year for peds as a US med graduate - 1st iteration eligible thankfully. :) I'll probably only want the bigger programs though (at least depending on what the US offers) so who knows if I really have a chance...eeek.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MedAnxiety

How does matching actually work? Is it just totally random? Because since most schools have adopted a pass/fail/honors system, they can't really use the objectivity of GPA/percentages. Is it really by connections ( as someone as recently told me?) Thank you for your input!

Guest UWOMED2005
How does matching actually work?

The people at CaRMS take everyone's name, place it in a hat and. . .

But seriously, the CaRMS match uses a computer algorithm. All candidates list their preferred program in order, ie:

Nick Riviera's rank list

1) Proctology in Wawa

2) Psychogeriatrics in Trois Rivieres

3) Proctological surgery in Killarney

4) Robotic surgery in Tignish

5) neurovascular surgery in Baton Rouge

unranked: Neurosurgery at U of T

The programs in turn will rank the applicants in the order of their preference, ie:

Proctology in Wawa's rank list:

1) Nick Riviera

2) John Deathe

3) Bob Slaughter

4) James Seuss

5) Jason Jonathan Raider

In the above example, obviously Nick Riviera would match to proctology in Wawa - both him and the program are getting their #1 choice in this scenario. It gets more complicated than that obviously as people and programs slide down rank lists. . . if you want to know more check http://www.carms.ca.

So, to do well in the match all you have to do is get programs to rank you high on their list. If you're shooting for a program with only 1-2 spots, obviously you need to be pretty much at THE TOP of the list, or hope the people above you go elsewhere. For large programs (ie family medicine, internal medicine, etc) being at the absolute top isn't as important but you still need to 'make the cut' on the programs rank list to get in.

How do you get ranked highly on a rank list? Oh boy. . . that's a tricky question and you could write a book on it. There already are a gazillion posts on this topic posted all over this forum.

But the thing to keep in mind is that programs are essentially allowed to rank candidates with whatever criteria they so choose.*

This means every program in Canada (and with 20 specialties and 13 schools, there's A LOT of programs) is free to come up with it's own basis for ranking - some programs care more about the interview, others do care about marks, others care more about awards, others care more if a candidate got along well with the residents on electives.

So you can't overgeneralize with CaRMS. If somebody tells you it's "all about luck" or "all about connections" or "all about marks". . . treat that opinion skeptically.

*Within certain limits. . . for example if a program made decisions based on the likelihood a candidate might get pregnant during the residency program, they would end up in BIG, BIG trouble.

Archived