Premed 101 Forums

Rejected. Plan B:

I am curious about the plans of those who have not been accepted this year. Are you going to apply again? What are you going to work on in your application? Maybe you'll try other schools? Other options in healthcare, or outside? I'm just interested to hear what some people's thoughts are after the dust clears.

I'll reply to this on the condition that the jinx gods don't jinx me just because I have prepared a backup... :D

I will apply again, I've started a second undergrad, so for my next application it should be the only marks counted. I am going to start volunteering at a youth outreach program. I will also try to move up the ladder at my job (health care), get additional training, move up the ladder there, make some money.

The biggest thing for me will be to get really good marks with my second under grad. It's the thing that will hold me back the most, and the thing that I have the most control over improving :)

I will probably end up re-writing the MCAT to see if I can apply more broadly than just NOSM.

If I'm rejected tomorrow I will accept the offer I have to a masters in nutritional science program at the university of Toronto. It's a one yr course based msc so I can reapply to med next year. Also, this summer I am hoping to publish 2 papers, so I can strengthen the research component of my application.

Now that I officially know that I have been rejected this year, my plan is to continue my phd (going into second year) and to apply again next year. I think I can improve my chances by getting more volunteering health-related experience and when I apply again my Master's should count towards my GPA, which as it stands is pretty low (3.3). I'm trying to take solace in the fact that I got an interview the first time I applied. Hopefully I can make it in next year because I think, as I get further in my phd, that it will feel worse to leave it...

• 1 month later...

I think its pretty school/department specific. There is more invested in students in places where graduate student funding would be affected by ones leaving. If it doesnt affect funding I dont think they would care as much besides perhaps pissing of the supervising prof who would lose free/underpaid labor to do lab work/ publications.

Beef

Guest JP.MD

I'm still finishing up my thesis. I'm attempting to defend on december 4th, but that deadline is tight. I have also done a few things over the past year (during my 2nd application), some volunteer work and certifications. I'm also writing the MCAT's early september, which means I'll be applying blind to some schools (possibly not knowing my score before the application deadline). I'm going to be concentrating on NOSM and McMaster, and checking into U of Calgary. They say third time is a charm, let's hope so.

I'm still finishing up my thesis. I'm attempting to defend on december 4th, but that deadline is tight. I have also done a few things over the past year (during my 2nd application), some volunteer work and certifications. I'm also writing the MCAT's early september, which means I'll be applying blind to some schools (possibly not knowing my score before the application deadline). I'm going to be concentrating on NOSM and McMaster, and checking into U of Calgary. They say third time is a charm, let's hope so.

I believe alot of universities have there senate meeting in November to confer graduates and sign them off. So you would miss that internal university deadline inorder be a November graduate and make the December 31st deadline for NOSM to give you the extra 0.2. You will need to check that out for your own university but I have a feeling you will miss the Nov graduation boat.

Beef

I believe alot of universities have there senate meeting in November to confer graduates and sign them off. So you would miss that internal university deadline inorder be a November graduate and make the December 31st deadline for NOSM to give you the extra 0.2. You will need to check that out for your own university but I have a feeling you will miss the Nov graduation boat.

Beef

In addition, depending on your university, they may make you wait until a later date to receive your masters diploma. For example, I finished my defense and thesis revisions by April 2011, but they wouldnt confer my degree until october 2011. I also know of a friend who finished their thesis in November, but had to wait until the following may to receive their diploma. You may want to check into this.

By the way, I don't think I ever got to personally congratulate you beef for getting accepted by nosm. If not, congrats! Your success has provided me with inspiration to continue improving my qualifications and striving to gain acceptance into Nosm in the future years to come.

By the way, I don't think I ever got to personally congratulate you beef for getting accepted by nosm. If not, congrats! Your success has provided me with inspiration to continue improving my qualifications and striving to gain acceptance into Nosm in the future years to come.

Thanks lwu018! I appreciate your kind words. I have no doubt that with continued persistence and improvement you too will achieve your dream. Once you do reach your goal that you have strived for so long for it is absolutely euphoric and intoxicating .... and I havent even started classes yet :D

Beef

Thanks lwu018! I appreciate your kind words. I have no doubt that with continued persistence and improvement you too will achieve your dream. Once you do reach your goal that you have strived for so long for it is absolutely euphoric and intoxicating .... and I havent even started classes yet :D

Beef

I just read your comment and got a huge boost of motivation to start my OMSAS 2013 application. The best part is the OMSAS 2013 application just opened, so it comes in great timing.

I can only imagine how intense your excitement must be to start classes. Just thinking about how great it would feel to finally reach that goal I have striven for so long to reach provides me with more than enough incentive to continue doing everything I possibly can to eventually gain acceptance into NOSM.

Hopefully you will continue to drop by the forums once in a while to respond to questions and update us on your experiences as a NOSM student. I'm sure you will have many exciting stories to tell us throughout the next year and I look forward to hearing them!:D

Check your PM ;)

I just read your comment and got a huge boost of motivation to start my OMSAS 2013 application. The best part is the OMSAS 2013 application just opened, so it comes in great timing.

I can only imagine how intense your excitement must be to start classes. Just thinking about how great it would feel to finally reach that goal I have striven for so long to reach provides me with more than enough incentive to continue doing everything I possibly can to eventually gain acceptance into NOSM.

Hopefully you will continue to drop by the forums once in a while to respond to questions and update us on your experiences as a NOSM student. I'm sure you will have many exciting stories to tell us throughout the next year and I look forward to hearing them!:D

Archived