Premed 101 Forums

INTER-PROVINCE RESIDENCY

Guest MedBound786

Guest MedBound786

Hey everyone;

I was wondering, if I were to finish medical school in Manitoba, is it possible to do residency in Ontario? (I mean without additional qualifying exams and all). And can I establish practice in Ontario thereafter?

All responses are much appreciated;

Thanks

Medbound.

Guest therealcrackers

Once you have done a residency in a given province, you can apply for licensure (and a billing number!) in any province where you can get a job; if you want to change provinces you used to have to write an exam (Quebec, for example, wants some surety of your ability in French) but I'm not sure how involved that is or how many provinces have such requirements any more...

Guest UWOMED2005

I have been warned, however, that sometimes minor details about a particular residency program (ie how many family medicine rotations a family medicine program has) might make things a bit more complicated in terms of practicing in another province.

I don't know any details about this other than one anecdote given to me by a family doctor about a friend who ran into trouble. I wouldn't worry about it at all if you're only at the applying to medicine stage. . . it's the sort of thing you can look into more closely in 4th year when you're actually applying to residency.

Archived