Premed 101 Forums

College courses

Hello,

This may be one of the dumbest questions ever, but I am hoping someone will have the answer.

I graduated with my BSc in 2011 and am taking 2 years off. I am interested in taking a culinary arts course at George Brown (or another college), just for personal interest. Basically, I want to learn to bake. I am also planning on applying to medical school in the 2012-2013 cycle. Would the culinary arts course have any effect on my application? I wouldn't do a full culinary arts program or anything like that. Just take 1-2 courses for fun through the college's continuing education program.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry if the answer is super obvious. :confused:

Unfortunately, no, medical schools in Canada (same with US, I think) do not use college courses as part of your GPA calculation.

However, Mac Med for example, may simply glance at them:

"You must submit a transcript from all post-secondary programs attended, including [college courses]. It does not count for academic eligibility but we want to know about your educational activities."

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast reply!

So from what you posted, I gather that it won't matter?

Nope, should not matter :) Nice that you are venturing out and trying some new things. It only adds to what UWO's faculty of medicine states: "Variety is the spice of life".

No med schools in Ontario use college grades, but I'm pretty sure that the Alberta schools both do and I'm not sure about other provinces. But I think that continuing ed courses like you are talking about are usually not taken for credit and aren't graded (or if they are, you could just audit them), so even at the schools that do count college courses I don't think the kind of thing you are thinking about doing would be a factor in your GPA. It's definitely something you could put down as an EC, though!

But I think that continuing ed courses like you are talking about are usually not taken for credit and aren't graded (or if they are, you could just audit them), so even at the schools that do count college courses I don't think the kind of thing you are thinking about doing would be a factor in your GPA. It's definitely something you could put down as an EC, though!

This is good to hear! Thank you for the information!

Archived