Premed 101 Forums

Cegep pre-requisites considered?

I could not find a clear answer after searching. i suppose this question is more related to those from quebec. i was wondering if english pre-reqs would be considered if they were completed in cegep? or do i have to re-take them? how about all other pre-reqs? essentially can cegep courses be used to satisfy pre-reqs?

at the university level the only course i have completed that resembles an english course is science literacy, which has english as part of the course code title...

after some searching. i have found some relevant information on sdn. hopefully this resolves my concerns as well as anyone else in a similar situation...

here is the post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=378647&highlight=cegep+english

"DR ZEKE TO THE RESCUE:

I have completed CEGEP and went to McGill and got into medical school in the USA! Do not worry about CEGEP...your important classes are regarded as transfer credits. I had Dawson College draft a letter for me and included it in my package of reference letters. It says that CEGEP is a required for advancing to University in the province of Quebec and at my CEGEP I completed 1 full year of physics with lab, 2 years of English, 1 full year of biology with lab....and so on. This letter was signed by the registrar and had a copy of my transcript. I used a letter service for my LORs so I didn't have to order a copy each time from Dawson. I did this as a precautionary measure. Don't worry about a thing. I listed all my CEGEP classes and then listed the lump sum of 30 credits from Dawson College that is on my McGill transcript. I did this just to show schools what I took in case they were interested.

Basically, Americans don't know much about CEGEP and they don't care. Some interviewers were curious about my school system, but mostly they just liked that I went to McGill, although some of them had no idea what it is... I just did all that stuff to show that I met their requirements. If you have any questions about how to fill it out on AMCAS, you can PM me or you call AMCAS, they are MOSTLY helpful, but watch out that you aren't talking to a complete idiot.

Good luck to you and don't worry, CEGEP is not the end of your world, it just means they can't really ask you anything about your med pre-reqs, but will mostly rely on your MCAT and since you completed a rigorous undergraduate degree (compared to a typical "pre-med" whatever that they do in the states at many institutions) they will rely on that as clear evidence that you are more than capable in medical/biological sciences. "

Archived