Premed 101 Forums

*Magic Number* of Canadian-Friendly American Schools???

Update:

I don't think there is a way to delete this thread, since it was useless at first. I decided, instead, to add the answers i've found to these questions. Hopefully this can help someone else.

Hey guys,

When I was applying to University years ago, a counsellor told me to create a list which was organized into "Reach", "Nominal" and "Backup" and told me to keep the max number of schools to about Six.

I'm wondering if there is such a number for US Medical schools. The application process is long and difficult, therefore for those of you who have had past experience:

1) How many schools do you think someone should apply to?

Apparently there is a mix of different numbers. Can range from 10 - 25.

2) How many "Reach" or "Backup" should we keep??

According to the MSAR, there are "10th Percentile GPA" values given for each school. Use these to determine which schools you stand a good chance at. Try to make it so that 70% of the schools on your list fit this criteria.

3) Other than time or money, do US Schools frown upon applying broadly? Because I know they are really influenced by how badly you want to go to THEIR school. But if you apply to 20 different schools, doesn't it seem difficult to say why I like one better than the other 19??

The holistic approach doesn't just end at the application, its important to keep the schools you are really serious about, updated with your wishes etc etc. Explain to them, in letter format, any extraordinary circumstances in your life which may have caused the condition which you are in now.

Archived