Premed 101 Forums

Worth Applying Next Year?

I'm in the process of submitting my application for US med schools because i've been getting the feeling my wGPA and EC's might not be good enough, but i'd like to know from those of you who did get accepted or have a better idea of UOttawa's med school, if I might even have a chance.

5th year: 3.71

4th year: 3.68

3rd year: 3.81

wGPA = 3.72

I'm from Ottawa and live in Ottawa.

My EC's are the usual. Nothing out of the ordinary like publications or big scholarships. just the regular sports and hospital stuff.

Also, in my 3rd year I only took 9 courses in the regular semester but took a course in the summer to make up for the missing credit. I was told by my friend who got accepted that if you take less than the required number of credits, if you take them in the summer right after, they will count towards the credit value but the grade itself won't be included in the wGPA. Is this true?

I'm in the process of submitting my application for US med schools because i've been getting the feeling my wGPA and EC's might not be good enough, but i'd like to know from those of you who did get accepted or have a better idea of UOttawa's med school, if I might even have a chance.

5th year: 3.71

4th year: 3.68

3rd year: 3.81

wGPA = 3.72

I'm from Ottawa and live in Ottawa.

My EC's are the usual. Nothing out of the ordinary like publications or big scholarships. just the regular sports and hospital stuff.

Also, in my 3rd year I only took 9 courses in the regular semester but took a course in the summer to make up for the missing credit. I was told by my friend who got accepted that if you take less than the required number of credits, if you take them in the summer right after, they will count towards the credit value but the grade itself won't be included in the wGPA. Is this true?

apply b/c you are an Ottawa area resident who meets the cut-offs. the way your sketch is interpreted is anyone's guess.

apply and see what happens.

Yeah i'll definitely apply, but i'm just afraid that my WGPA is so low compared to everyone elses (especially OOP) that they probably wouldn't think twice about my app. If i'm correct though, once you meet the WGPA cutoffs your GPA isn't taken into consideration anymore, and they look at your ABS, correct?

If you've taken 8 courses during the year, that year WILL count. It doesn't matter if you've taken a couple courses during the summer.

Yeah i'll definitely apply, but i'm just afraid that my WGPA is so low compared to everyone elses (especially OOP) that they probably wouldn't think twice about my app. If i'm correct though, once you meet the WGPA cutoffs your GPA isn't taken into consideration anymore, and they look at your ABS, correct?

this is correct. once the wgpa cutoff is met, all that matters is your sketch.

this is correct. once the wgpa cutoff is met, all that matters is your sketch.

with the extremely minor addition that the wgpa can be used to order ties... but that would only matter if you tied with someone for the last spot, and they had a higher wgpa... and the chances of that seem to be negligible at best.

I guess the good news is that my wGPA meets cut off, but I don't think there's much I can do in a few months that would look solid on an application. Most of my long term commitments are sports related, and I don't have the luxury of having publications and NSERC awards, which I feel is a big bonus.

Archived