Premed 101 Forums

taking pre requisites as unclassified & Gpa

hi everyone

i got master degree in English literature and i have got a great gpa . my question is that if i take the pre requisites as an unclassified student, what would happen to the best 2 years of my study? i mean do i still have my decent gpa of my previous degrees counted by university , or it is going to be some changes due to the fact that i spend some years passing pre requisites?

im asking either for medical or dentistry schools.

Thanks in advance

Take this with a grain of salt, because I only know what I have read and have not spoken directly to admissions offices, but not all med schools in Canada have prerequisites. MUN only requires one year of English (6 credit hours.) Dal, Queens, Mac, NOSM occur to me as schools that don't have any prerequisites. There may be more and/or they may change in the future.

Some schools count all courses into your GPA calculation, some don't count classes outside of a degree program. The information is readily available on the sites of schools.

I have no idea for dentistry, sorry.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I only know what I have read and have not spoken directly to admissions offices, but not all med schools in Canada have prerequisites. MUN only requires one year of English (6 credit hours.) Dal, Queens, Mac, NOSM occur to me as schools that don't have any prerequisites. There may be more and/or they may change in the future.

Some schools count all courses into your GPA calculation, some don't count classes outside of a degree program. The information is readily available on the sites of schools.

I will add no prereqs at Western either :) But I cannot answer the question cause I took no prereqs, sorry :P

Thanks for your answer

some of the universities you mentioned like mcmaster and dali have majority of their offers for in province residents . i live in bc and i thought to try my chances for ubc , however i heard that it is very difficult getting into.

Thanks for your answer

some of the universities you mentioned like mcmaster and dali have majority of their offers for in province residents . i live in bc and i thought to try my chances for ubc , however i heard that it is very difficult getting into.

Queens, I believe, doesn't have in province vs. out of province pools. Dal and Mun have very few seats for out of province people, true, but they also have way, way fewer applicants overall (~650 each.)

UBC does seem particularly difficult to get into, but someone has to, right? Can't know unless you try, though I do recommend applying broadly as that greatly increases your chances of getting in. It will mean moving, yes, but many of us have to anyway. It's just for a few years, though. You can always go back for residency or to practice.

It is very difficult getting into any med school in Canada, and it is doable with the right package and persistence, given it takes on average 2.7 times to apply, meaning if you don't make it on your first try, it can take several years. Its all about the law of supply and demand.

Archived