Premed 101 Forums

Should I go back to school?

Hi

I had started university in 2005 and got abysmal marks during a four year degree (3.3ish GPA), did mediocre in the MCAT. By the end of my fourth year I had threw away all hope of med school so I finished my science degree and got a job. Now I met someone who was in the similar circumstances as me - he didn’t do well in his engineering degree so he finished, worked for 4 year, returned and did all his first year courses again and got into Dentistry. I am not sure what his undergraduate GPA was but I know he mentioned he did not do well at all, and had to write a letter to explain why.

I do not know much about applying to medical school, time lines, or anything. Should I go back to school and redo my first year/pre reqs and apply?

-Hireuo

To be honest your post is too brief for me to think you've explored this on your own first. I would suggest go back, take a look at yourself, your skills, ECs, personal traits, and figure out if you really want to go to medicine. Then look up entrance requirements for all of the schools in Canada and whether you'd be willing to go outside of Canada if you don't get in here. Once you have all that info, you can decide for yourself whether it's worthwhile.

Keep in mind that med and dent are different monsters even though we often couple them together, and that there is more demand for medicine than there is for dentistry right now, meaning the expectations and requirements for students are higher.

If you're thinking about going back to school, I think there are several factors to consider:

It depends on what you mean by abysmal: did you do poorly in your first two years and then very well in your second two? Were they all consistently bad? Some schools take some form of top/last two years (queens & UWO) so your GPA might be closer to their cutoffs if you had a very low GPA early and a high GPA late.

It also depends on what you can do on the MCAT: some schools (like Mac) incorporate the verbal portion of the MCAT into the pre-interview invite score. So if you can get yourself a 12-15 on the verbal section, you can offset that GPA without needing to retake a second degree.

Archived