Premed 101 Forums

Applying before MCAT rewrite

I am currently thinking of rewriting my MCAT due to my relatively low verbal score and am wondering if I can apply to the states with my previous MCAT score before the new score comes out.

Has anyone gone through a similar experience before?

Please let me know how that works :)

Thanks!

What you do is list your previous MCAT score when filling out your app, and I'm pretty sure there's an option to check if you're planning on re-taking the MCAT that same summer. The new MCAT score will then get sent over automatically. I suggest you open the AMCAS application system and take a look for yourself, I believe it opens up in early June?

Good luck!

Is it possible to not check the box and email them later mentioning that I have decided to rewrite the MCAT? or is this too risky?

I am rewriting my mcat on June 21st and realistically my applications will be sent in around July 21st at the earliest.. which could be a bit late for some schools, I feel :(

or perhaps I could do worse, which apparently is looked down by American adcoms..

In the AMCAS application there's an option that says you are planning to take a rewrite this year. Don't submit without checking the box and then try e-mailing them, that's asking for trouble. Submit your application as early as possible (June), and then schools can start to look at it before your second score comes in. A VR in 9 isn't a dealbreaker by any means however, as there are much less rigid cutoffs in the states.

Archived