Premed 101 Forums

US accepting less internationals??? (MSAR)

According to the newest edition (2013-14) of MSAR, many US schools seem to be accepting much less international students... To be exact: much less internationals are matriculating at US schools, but there is probably a strong correlation between the 2. Examples are below comparing last year's MSAR data and the current edition.

Northwestern: 13 -> 5

Vandy: 12 -> 4

Georgetown: 4 -> 0

Dartmouth: 15 -> 9

NYMC: 4 -> 0 (I thought this school was very Canadian-friendly)

Rosalind-Franklin (CMS): 15 -> 6

SUNY upstate: 8 -> 3 (school policy reform according to previous posts)

(all other international-friendly schools retained similar #s from last year, except Yale, which jumped from 10 to 20, equivalent to almost a fifth of their matriculating class)

Any thoughts? Is there a new collective policy at private schools???

These are matriculation numbers. Not acceptances.

It could be that American schools are accepting the same number, but less students end up choosing to go to the school.

I think it was odd that NYMC and RF didn't really interview/accept any (or very few) Canadians this year.

Also consider that the US economy is not doing so well. So they would obviously prefer to accept more Americans into their med schools than Canadians. But the best source would be to check the MSAR. I believe the overall number of Canadians matriculating the us schools is still about 90-100, not too different from previous years.

I believe the overall number of Canadians matriculating the us schools is still about 90-100, not too different from previous years.

AAMC hasn't released any new data for the most recent year yet, so the Canadian #s this year may have actually dropped from 90 to 50.

Matriculation #s are likely strongly correlated with acceptance #s. Not sure if it's because of the economy, because then it would have been a delayed response to 2008. Anyone else have any information on this? This seems to be making American applications twice as hard!

Highly doubt that would happen. But the data I am relying on are the most recent ones, not the current year since the process isn't technically over (wait lists). But the numbers seems to remain stable from 2008-2011 (even after albany and EVMS stopped accepting Canadians).

I found this strange too. I was surprised to see such low numbers of international acceptances on MSAR. It seems there isn't much advantage while applying to US compared to Ontario.

Its odd that North Carolina has interviewed 38 internationals in each of the last 2 cycles and hasn't had even a single international matriculating in last 2 years. Even Georgetown interviewed 59 internationals in the last cycle and had none of them matriculating (in the cycle before they had 4 internationals matriculating).

Its odd that North Carolina has interviewed 38 internationals in each of the last 2 cycles and hasn't had even a single international matriculating in last 2 years.

UNC is a state-school so I wouldn't count on any acceptances unless you have significant ties to the state on top of being a US citizen.

It's worthwhile to note however that the correctness of MSAR is sometimes doubtful, eg. they report 0 internationals interviewed, but a #>0 (eg. 2) matriculated at a school that doesn't accept deferments. AAMC data also report SUNY downstate foreign total enrollment jumping from 1 in 2010 to 62 in 2011.

I'm praying that the latest edition of MSAR had errors which under-counted foreign matriculants.

Also problematic is how international is defined

At some schools Canada and the rest of the world is defined as "international" while others Canadians are considered "out of state" (i.e. Wayne). Also, certain schools are famous for interviewing large numbers of internationals but not matriculating any (i.e. Georgetown). A lot of international applicants that got into these and other non Canadian friendly schools is because they did an undergrad at us schools or they had a SMP linkage or something.

Also yes. Stats wise American schools are not a "safety" for Ontario schools. But they provide an alternative for those who are otherwise competitive but got screened out because they missed the MCAT cutoff by 1 in verbal or the GPA cutoff by 0.01.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived