Premed 101 Forums

Teaching File Project Worth It?

Hi everyone,

I've set up a 3-week elective this summer with a radiologist working on a teaching file of his best cases over his career. He intends to use it for the radiology residents at my top choice program. Just wondering if you guys could weigh in on whether it's worth it.

Pros:

- Working one on one with a single radiologist for 3 weeks. He essentially told me that it would be a great opportunity to get a reference letter.

- It's with a very prominent radiologist in the city I want to match to.

- Allows me to amass quite a bit of radiology knowledge without having to worry about attending half-days, do presentations, and other things.

- Relatively short commute, wouldn't need to find a place to live.

Cons:

- Could spend those 3 weeks making myself known to another program (I intend to do a separate DR elective in the city I want to match to later on).

- Use this time to do an elective in an imaging-heavy field (cardio, GI, ortho)

- Could use this time to work on publishable research instead, thereby adding another publication to my CaRMS app.

- Would be asking for a reference letter long before CaRMS.

Pros are strong, especially if you have an influential voice going to bat for you at your desired program. Of course, you have to do well.

If this goes well, you may not need another elective at the same program later on if you stay in touch in other ways (e.g. you can do research outside of a formal elective).

Electives in imaging-heavy fields do not offer any special benefit in CaRMS compared to your other non-radiology core or elective rotations.

Your reference letter would still be obtained during medical school, so it is not too early - and as stated above, if you wish, you can become involved in further work in the department after the elective ends and ask for a letter closer to CaRMS.

I agree with Lactic Folly. Coming from a Radiography background, I think you should capitalize on this opportunity.

1. It's only 3 weeks and you make an excellent contact with geographical advantages.

2. You can forge a continual relationship that is key to CaRMS.

3. Experience and exposure to Radiology is more important than random publications because it is not your average medical specialty. Thus, radiology at Mac for example actually suggests these types of projects.

I have worked with Radiologists extensively and in the long-run, I see this opportunity paying off. Best wishes.

Archived