Premed 101 Forums

Laptops.

Since a laptop is required, I was wondering what do McMaster medical students mainly use the laptop for, and for those who aren't tech-savvy (like me), what specifications should I look for that correspond with the usage..

I hope my question makes sense!

Right now I'm debating just using my old, slow 10inch dell windows XP laptop if we don't really use laptops in med school; or buying a ThinkpadX220 if I need a lot of functionality and comfort; OR buying an ultrabook (I use Windows, as you can tell) if its just something you need to carry around everywhere for convenience.

I think laptops would be used quite a bit during tutorials- b/c I'm sure you'd need to refer to all your research and notes on there.

I'm guessing we just need the standard word processing, PDF reader apps, etc.

But a current student could probably give better insight :)

Laptops would be used to make notes and find information. There are many online textbooks and journals we will have access to with our Mac IDs so you can do the homework from ur computer at home.

Also sometimes they might email you about important events or stuff you might have to attend in a short time so its good to have a computer at hand to check.

In terms of tutorials, u don't need to bring a computer or use it to refer to references-thats possible to do but going above and beyond. Some people do bring computers with their notes on them to contribute to class, others print them out, and others remember so well they dont even bring notes, its up to you.

Theres many medical text books in the library and computers to do ur research for tutorials but having a computer at home is much more convenient, especially with last second email notifications.

Archived