Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep

john29

Hey,

I just finished my first year of university, and I would like to start studying for the MCAT during the summer and possibly write it during this summer as well. I was wondering whether it is possible to learn some of the material by myself (I have not taken physiology or organic chemistry) during the summer and still end up with a decent score. My friend recommended the "Cracking the MCAT by the Princeton Review" 2011-2012 edition, would this book me enough to get me prepared for the MCAT?

Many people have done well on the MCAT while missing a number of "prerequisites". I can't comment on it personally but do a search or look through the MCAT page and you will find numerous people who went through the same thing. As for the cracking the mcat book, I think you should get some other material that can cover each topic individually and in more depth (like a whole set). Do some research on each brand and find out what works for you.

You should be good for the most part. Assuming that you've taken a full year of gen chem and atleast 1 physics course, you should be pretty solid for the PS - just practice and get accustomed to the "critical thinking" testing style. Bio shouldn't really be a problem, most of topics are relatively easy to learn. For orgo, get a book that goes into alot of detail (TPR, TBR).

Hey,

I just finished my first year of university, and I would like to start studying for the MCAT during the summer and possibly write it during this summer as well. I was wondering whether it is possible to learn some of the material by myself (I have not taken physiology or organic chemistry) during the summer and still end up with a decent score. My friend recommended the "Cracking the MCAT by the Princeton Review" 2011-2012 edition, would this book me enough to get me prepared for the MCAT?

Like the poster above mentioned, get a book that goes into a moderate amount of detail for orgo. Do not get EK orgo - this is better suited for students who just need a refresher. Try finding a friend to study orgo with (preferrably someone who has taken orgo to help you out)

Archived