Premed 101 Forums

How to stay motivated

mojojojo

Hey guys,

I just started studying for the mcat a few days ago, and am finding it hard to keep my mind on the content. I'm using the SN2ed schedule, and gave myself 2 weeks buffer, so I don't think I'm completely doomed yet. I think my biggest issue is that the material I'm doing seems like things I already now. However I don't want to skip over it in case there's something there that I'm not remembering correctly. Any advice on how I can stay focused and really absorb the material?

Yeh i seem to be having the same problem as you.. Im almost 4 weeks into studying and I've already used up 10 days of my 2 week buffer period. I'm thinking I need to change something... Not sure what

Don't think it about it that way. Like you're on a deadline. You're just adding much, unneeded stress to yourself. I mean of course you do have a "deadline", in the sense of you're writing the MCAT on a particular date. But so what, if you took a day off (or a week) here and there? Go at your own pace, and you can always reschedule the MCAT! A lot of people use the marathon analogy--if you slacked at the beginning, and you end up sprinting in the middle, do you think you'll still finish said marathon at the same time as you initially hoped when you ended up being burnt out after your sprint?

OP: my best recommendation to you, is to start with the things you know least and work your way up. You don't have to go in order of the chapters--start with your weakest subject or concepts and go from there.

Make sure you take some breaks ! Maybe trying reviewing passages on the same day. I prefer jumping into the new material the next day and don't feel as fatigued during the reading. You have a lot of time left, so try changing a few things up each day and see what works for you.

Keep your eye on the prize, do whatever it takes to stay focused. Music that inspires you, movies, checking out school websites, spouse/child (or dreams of these in your future), cars, houses, whatever gets you going.

Remember it takes 4+ years to establish your GPA for med school and only a few hours determines another HUGE component (for many schools) in the MCAT. Prepare, seize the opportunity, good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived