Premed 101 Forums

do I ask for a letter?

Guest McMastergirl

Guest McMastergirl

Hi, I need some advice... there is one program I want really badly. I did an elective there and it went extremely well! My supervisor gave me the best eval I've ever had, and was happy to hear that their program is my #1 choice.

So that is quite a relief, but I'm wondering... do I ask this particular supervisor for a reference letter? She is the person in charge of the selection committee for the program I really want. Can I ask her to write me a letter for her program (I assume not), and how does it look if I ask her to write me a letter for another program? And if she truly wants me in her program (there is only one spot), why would she want to write me a letter for another school???

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

Yes, yes, yes, and quadruple yes! Get the letter, and ask for it as soon as you can. Make sure that your referee gets your most current CV, maybe throw in a good cover letter with some more personal backgroun about why you chose that specialty and what makes you a strong candidate, and then get them to send a copy (and keep a copy!) to your Dean's Office, or whichever other institution archives your reference letters.

Then, when CaRMS season approaches, you can give them back the reference letter and ask them if they can update it for you. That way, you get the letter written when you are still fresh in their minds, and the peace of mind that even if your referee changes jobs, that you still have a copy that can be sent to CaRMS.

You cannot ask a person to write a letter and "aim it at one school", unless your referee will also write individualized letters to all the other programs you'll be applying to.

Instead, your referee will write a letter that is generically applicable to all the programs in that specialty. Through the e-CaRMS process, you can then assign that letter to whichever programs you want electronically, and each program will get a copy of that letter when they download your complete application.

Ie. The letter would probably look something like this:

I am pleased to write a reference for McMastergirl, who worked with our department on electives for 4 weeks from July-August 2003.

Blah, blah blah, lots of reasons why you were a strong medical student (enthusiastic, team-oriented, hard-working, etc, etc.)

In conclusion, I would be happy to recommend McMastergirl for a residency position in Competitive-ology.

Guest Carolyn

I absolutely agree with Ian. Ask now -- it is definitely not too soon given it is August. There is no reason not to send her all of your stuff now so that she has time to write it while you are still fresh in her mind.

I had the former director of an emerg programme write one of mine (he had just left the position)... It is helpful because all of the programme directors know each other and it is helpful to have a letter from someone that they will "know".

I found the hardest part was asking.

carolyn

Archived