Premed 101 Forums

Continuing student (5th year) question

I just graduated from McMaster and I'm thinking of taking another year to boost my GPA/improve my ECs etc.

At McMaster, once you have all the prerequisites for graduating, you will automatically be graduated and cannot put your 5th year under that degree. So my 5th year is a non-degree (not undergraduate) year.

Does anyone know if this 5th year will count towards the best 2 years for Queens/Western?

I've emailed Western and told them my situation and they've told me that a special year is an undergraduate year, but after a few more emails, they go on to tell me that it is a non-degree (unclassified year) as well.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Hi,

I actually did the same at Mac. In fact, I did a 5th year, while doing courses at a distance for my masters.

BUT, to answer your question - Western and Queen's are both okay with this. Western will consider this your "special year", so refer to the conditions that apply on their website.

Queen's will consider this like any other year (maintain a minimum of 6 courses over the years).

Good luck.

Hi,

I actually did the same at Mac. In fact, I did a 5th year, while doing courses at a distance for my masters.

BUT, to answer your question - Western and Queen's are both okay with this. Western will consider this your "special year", so refer to the conditions that apply on their website.

Queen's will consider this like any other year (maintain a minimum of 6 courses over the years).

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Also, I think I know who you are... small world :P

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Also, I think I know who you are... small world :P

uh oh. HAHA! PM me if you did identify me :P

Also, with US schools, it is usually the same deal. Most schools I have dealt with consider all the years + courses you have ever completed (regardless of whether they are from same degree or not).

Archived