Premed 101 Forums

Looking for Clarification

Dear premed101 community,

I am planning to apply to American medical schools this year, and I am a Canadian undergraduate student entering my fourth year in September.

I am a little hazy on a couple of aspects of the application process to American schools, if your insight can answer my questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Are there any American schools that look at the best/last two full years for the calculation of your GPA, or is it only cGPA and sGPA for all American schools?

2) I ask this question because, my first year was horrendous while I improved in my last two years, consequently my cGPA is pretty low. With a cGPA of around 3.56 and I would say above average ECs and hopefully an MCAT score 33+, would I have a fighting chance in the States, given that I am writing my MCAT on August 23 and so the scores will be released end of September?

3) Do I need my MCAT scores or LOR in order to proceed to "Verification Process" of the primary application?

Any help and insight is welcome.

Thank you.

1) All grades are taken into consideration.

2)Writing your MCAT so late, will put you in a VERY tough spot. Why? American schools practice the "rolling" admission process. Which means they give out admissions to whomever they interview 1st and is a good candidate. First come first serve... kinda.

3) You don't need your MCAT or your LOR for verification... only transcript from your uni to AMCAS. BUT, your secondaries will not be processed if you don't have your MCAT scores in.

I know it sucks, but give it a shot if you have the money. You're looking at a total of $1500 for 10 schools alone. But, applying that late, is tough man. Maybe save your eggs and try next year?

Thank you for the responses.

However, this is my current situation. I have about a 3.75 (last/best 2 years) and so with a decent MCAT score, I'm hoping I'll be competitive for Canadian schools. Nonetheless, as a back-up I want to apply to American schools and I know my GPA is not going to help me but I really do not want to do an extra year of undergrad or do Master's.

So do you guys think DO schools are a good last-chance plan?

P.S. Can you define "monster" MCAT score? lol

Thank you for the responses.

However, this is my current situation. I have about a 3.75 (last/best 2 years) and so with a decent MCAT score, I'm hoping I'll be competitive for Canadian schools. Nonetheless, as a back-up I want to apply to American schools and I know my GPA is not going to help me but I really do not want to do an extra year of undergrad or do Master's.

So do you guys think DO schools are a good last-chance plan?

P.S. Can you define "monster" MCAT score? lol

If you think you deserve a spot in Canada, I think you should build up your resume. Either go back for another year of full time studies and boost your GPA, or do masters if you prefer. Monster MCAT = 35+

Archived