Premed 101 Forums

Medicine, love, and the future

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a long time on this wonderful forum. I have been troubled recently by uncertainty of my future, and would appreciate all insight and advice.

I am a Canadian citizen studying medicine in the USA. I met the love of my life here, but as we prepare to enter our third year and lose some control over the flexibility of our lives, I am uncertain about where our paths are leading us. My plan was to return to Canada to practice in primary care, but it's complicated because he is from South America, is interested in surgery, will likely stand little chance of matching here, and I would certainly not put him through that obstacle.

Would my Canadian citizenship have any significant advantage if we were to do a couples match in Canada? Would he find it easier to come practice in Canada after finishing his residency? Or is the likely path that if we are to be together, our future is in the States?

I have never had to balance such matters in my life before. I have never questioned my desire to become a doctor, but I now question my path to getting there with something in my life that I cannot place below my career goals. Thank you for reading, any input would be welcome.

-F.H.

If your significant other does not apply... then you will never know? The Canadian match runs before CARMS, so you both could apply through that.

Have your significant other seek out electives in Canada at centers that you would like to match to. You can do this. You will do this.

Good luck!

Archived