Premed 101 Forums

Question for Mature Students

I'm 27 and will be part of the class of 2015 at the U of C this year. I'm curious if other older students have gone through this process that I am now going through of second guessing my decision to accept. The alternate choice being me staying in my current vocation and moving forward as if nothing has changed.

I will start by saying that I'm excited and looking forward to starting this program which I have chased for 3 years now BUT I'm scared. I'm scared because I've been out of school for some time now, 6 years exactly. I've been earning a salary steadily for that time now and will be giving that up along with the seniority and experience I have gained at my current job. Making things harder is the fact that I actually like my job.

A year ago or two when I had been through the application cycle I was ready to go...now I'm questioning if I'm making the right decision. I'm terrified and wondering if this is unique to me and maybe an indication that I shouldn't be doing this or if it is in fact a pretty common experience...

Would appreciate if others could chime in...I'm stressed and scared of how my boss will react on Monday.

Congrat on your acceptance.

27 is not old at all. Some of us are much, much older than that. Okay, let's assume you want to take FM, you add 5 years to it and you will be only 32, you will make a good income, helping others along the way. If you go to speciality, add 3 or 4 years to it, still pretty young...

Take your job as an example, what do u think you will be 5 years from now? Nobody can make this decision for u, and the fact you mention in this forum that u are accepted yesterday, U of C will know who u are, haha....

If they think you are good enough to get accepted, you probably is, so don't second guess yourself, and do something you will regret down the road.

Work hard and work smart, you will be fine... :)

Congratulations, sincerely! Like you said earlier, I'm in the same boat as you: applied 3 times, waitlisted twice. I hope you will appreciate and seize this opportunity, don't give up easily on something you've believed in and tried for so long. As for me, although it looks like my chances of getting an acceptance is slim this year, I will definitely keep trying! So happy for you! :)

I would say that if you have been chasing this for a while, it's probably going to continue to haunt you until you do it. You have a great opportunity and nothing to lose. It's always a little nerve-wracking to start something new, so don't let that put you off. It makes you human...and humble. That's a good thing.

I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't matter how old you are, you'll still have those dreams and aspirations. I'm considerably older than you and repeatedly followed my career as (many) opportunities presented themselves, always knowing that medicine is where my heart is at. While I don't regret my choices, it's laughable now that I wondered if I was too old at 25, 26..., 32, 33 - you get the picture!

Go and do this - start the process. If you don't like it, at least you will know, and not always wonder what might have been. You always have the option to re-enter your current career later, even if you lose a little ground. Your experience is never lost.

Best of luck! Enjoy the journey :D

I can totally say that I felt the same way as you. I had also been out of school for quite a long time and really enjoyed making really good money and my job. Medicine was always something that was in the back of my mind. I waited until I was 28 to take the leap and apply. Once I got in I had the exact same worries... sometimes I still worry that I made the wrong decision. But surrounded by wonderful classmates, awesome faculty, and great patients - definitely makes this journey all worth it. I'd lie if I didn't tell you that everyday I worry that I took on this journey and am I setting myself back for ever getting married or having a family... especially since i'm really ambitious and gunning for a specialty. You will meet students and residents who are much older than you and have been able to establish a family and personal life in the midst of med school. Their stories are reassuring and in the end you will be so happy you pursued that medicine itch!

I was 26 when I started med school, and I went to a 4 year school. So age-wise you're in the same situation as me. I am now 2 years into a 5 year residency. I often thought, and still do think, on occasion that I "lost" 2 - 4 years of my life compared to classmates and colleagues, but more often than that I realize my experiences and extra education give me a lot of advantages and benefits. Sometimes I think that starting a career at 36 or 37 (after fellowship) is too late, but that's just how it is these days. But as I go through, I am constantly reminded how much the extra maturity and experience mean to me and the patients I work with.

It's normal to have those feelings. I wouldn't look back because you may be left with what ifs and should haves for the rest of your life. Do one year and see how you feel. You can always defer or drop out after 1st year. I think the 30-40k that you may spend on first year is worth having that closure and certainty for the rest of your life.

To be fair, you shouldn't have any doubt about what you want to do when u accept the offer. Other unfortunate waitlisters would love to jump into this with both feet.

We have someone withdraw from our class in the middle of the year, someone else could have taken that spot and become a fine doctor....

It is worse than an interviewee doesn't show up for his/her interview. IMHO

To be fair, you shouldn't have any doubt about what you want to do when u accept the offer. Other unfortunate waitlisters would love to jump into this with both feet.

We have someone withdraw from our class in the middle of the year, someone else could have taken that spot and become a fine doctor....

So true

10 char

I'm 27 and will be part of the class of 2015 at the U of C this year. I'm curious if other older students have gone through this process that I am now going through of second guessing my decision to accept. The alternate choice being me staying in my current vocation and moving forward as if nothing has changed.

I will start by saying that I'm excited and looking forward to starting this program which I have chased for 3 years now BUT I'm scared. I'm scared because I've been out of school for some time now, 6 years exactly. I've been earning a salary steadily for that time now and will be giving that up along with the seniority and experience I have gained at my current job. Making things harder is the fact that I actually like my job.

A year ago or two when I had been through the application cycle I was ready to go...now I'm questioning if I'm making the right decision. I'm terrified and wondering if this is unique to me and maybe an indication that I shouldn't be doing this or if it is in fact a pretty common experience...

Would appreciate if others could chime in...I'm stressed and scared of how my boss will react on Monday.

Wow, your post sort of hit a nerve for me because I am going through exactly the same thing having just accepted an offer myself. I'm turning 26 in a few days and am definitely "established" in a career. When I started in my current career in computing sciences I was making enough to get by...but in the past 3 years, I have taken on more clients and am starting to believe that I'd easily make more money just staying in the current job I'm at versus going into med. My job is amazing. I am mostly self-employed, set my own hours, make great cash, enjoy all the benefits of being a contractor, etc.

My only actual employer over the past few years has been steady part-time employment with excellent flexibility that has enabled me to pursue med-related things, like classes and volunteer work. THey depend on me a lot and I tortured myself for days before finally breaking the news to them although I was relieved at how understanding my boss (owner of small business) was. He wrote me a long email after our in-person discussion that was classy to say the least with lots of good sentiments and advice. I guess I am very good at my job and I enjoy it to some extent. I've been independent since I was a teenager and the ability to support myself is something I am extremely weary of throwing away.

With that said, choosing medicine is choosing a lifestyle, not a job, imo. It's going to be exciting and it's what I have spent my life preparing to do. I would never have started my computing career if not for necessity (pre-med student loans piling up...). and I know with certainty that med is the right thing for me, but there is a special sense of loss like I am ditching a career path that I could also have been successful at. At our age, in mid-to-late-twenties, many of us are just settling in to being good at what we do so I think it is especially difficult to leave it. Other students who are still in university or had worked 3 months at a crappy part-time job they despise will probably have difficulty understanding the complexity of this situation. The difference between job and career, right? I believe that one's "career" is hugely important in many ways even if this isn't obvious to the individual.

Ultimately you make this decision for yourself. I never grappled seriously with turning down my offer. But I did carefully consider what I am leaving behind. A saving grace for me is that my skills in computing can be applied to medicine to produce research and to power my interest in certain specialities. Maybe your job skills will serve you in medicine as well?

In the end, consider medicine and everything that comes along with it... You must have been enticed by something. Amazing position of benefiting others on a daily basis, being respected by society and peers, and basically never having to question whether you are a positive force in the universe. The litmus test for me: At the end of your life, looking back (only at career decisions, NOT family decisions) at what you accomplished in your career, how happy will you be with it? I am pretty damn certain I'll be so much more satisfied having spent 40 years as a doc then as a software guy.

I agree that you shouldn't accept an offer to a medical school with the intention of maybe dropping out. This would be so brutally awful for so many reasons... Think of the student whose spot you took? The cost to the government and the community that won't get that doc, etc...

I agree that you shouldn't accept an offer to a medical school with the intention of maybe dropping out. This would be so brutally awful for so many reasons... Think of the student whose spot you took? The cost to the government and the community that won't get that doc, etc...

I don't think MDGWilliams "intends" to drop out. Self doubt is a normal reaction, and no one can predict precisely how he or she will adapt to medical school. Even for those people who jump in with "two feet," there are no guarantees. Obviously, MDGWilliams has given this much thought; otherwise, he/she would not have spent so many years pursuing this dream! I say go for it -

I don't think MDGWilliams "intends" to drop out. Self doubt is a normal reaction, and no one can predict precisely how he or she will adapt to medical school. Even for those people who jump in with "two feet," there are no guarantees. Obviously, MDGWilliams has given this much thought; otherwise, he/she would not have spent so many years pursuing this dream! I say go for it -

Yea I agree with your points. **** happens... But you should be pretty damn sure about doing it if you're gonna do it, imo.

Those comments were directed @lazyboy.

Self doubt is a normal reaction, and no one can predict precisely how he or she will adapt to medical school. Even for those people who jump in with "two feet," there are no guarantees.

I agree that self-doubt is a good thing: it shows that you have options and are doing an honest evaluation of them.

To spin this question on its head, I wonder how many people go into medicine right out of undergrad and then wish they'd done something else. At least MDGWilliams has experience outside the field and is making a conscious choice towards this path.

My comment is not directed at anyone, esp MDWilliams. We make choices every single day, and this is probably one of the biggest. We always thinking about "What If", and it is pretty normal.

What I am trying to say is once a decision is made, you should follow through comes hell or high water, so to speak. MD training is a privilege, not a right.

Good luck, see you all in July, just a month away :D

Archived