Premed 101 Forums

What are My Chances at American Schools?

hi

i will be taking 5 years (graduating year 2012-2013) to complete my 4 years honors program in canada since i switched majors in year number 3 and was wondering what schools i should be considering (if any).

GPA:

year 1: 3.11

year 2: 3.42

year 3: 3.55

year 4 3.94

i am fairly confident that i will be getting greater than 3.94 in my final year of the program so i think any schools that uses the wGPA scaling will be advantages to me.

i will be taking the MCAT this summer and hoping to get around 33+ and my extra curricular are only average i think. i volunteer at a couple of places throughout my latter years of university but kept a part time job during school and summer.

hi

i will be taking 5 years (graduating year 2012-2013) to complete my 4 years honors program in canada since i switched majors in year number 3 and was wondering what schools i should be considering (if any).

GPA:

year 1: 3.11

year 2: 3.42

year 3: 3.55

year 4 3.94

i am fairly confident that i will be getting greater than 3.94 in my final year of the program so i think any schools that uses the wGPA scaling will be advantages to me.

i will be taking the MCAT this summer and hoping to get around 33+ and my extra curricular are only average i think. i volunteer at a couple of places throughout my latter years of university but kept a part time job during school and summer.

Upward trend is always good, but they won't see your 5th (coming) year of GPA this application cycle, & with a 3.5 GPA as a Canadian - it's a complete uphill battle my friend.

Aim for 35+ on the MCAT. Consider applying next cycle, so they see another near-perfect year (which might well be the deciding factor in your profile). US schools also require (not just prefer) lots of clinical experience and physician shadowing; just some ideas to boost your application if you decide to wait a year.

I have around a 3.8 cgpa (amcas), 4.0 scgpa( but doing physics this summer) a 32Q, lots of ecs, a summer of clinical research and a full year of volunteering at an endocrinology clinic with direct patient contact. But no shadowing! Just wondering people's thoughts on if I should wait til the end of August when I can include shadowing but will be applying late in the cycle and losing that advantage? Oh.. and I'm a dual citizen so will be applying as an American.

Archived