Premed 101 Forums

Lifetime student odds?

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think my odds will be for next year as a first time mature applicant.

Born in Northern Manitoba

Grew up Sudbury from Gr. 4-OAC

Western University for undergrad (BSc Nutrition) and MSc (kinesiology)

Registered Dietitian

1 month of experience with aboriginal health centre

no status but some aboriginal ancestry

GPA: not positive but with the 0.2 from the Masters will be somewhere between 3.7-3.9

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks and cheers

Hey Chamlit,

I suspect you will get an interview. After that it is up to you as to how you perform at the interview in relation to all of the excellent applicants.

Check out some of stats of recently admitted students in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads. This should give you an idea where you fall within previous years pack in the objective measures anyway.

I am a practicing RD. Recently gained admission. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks Beef,

Just a quick question for anyone that knows more about this. Instead of starting a new thread figured I'd post in here.

In terms of GPA calculation if I look at this chart

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Does NOSM take all years into account?

I think I heard your best two somewhere.

But further, having a masters degree, I know I get an extra 0.2 so does that mean they would not use my masters courses in calculating my average.

So for example if my undergrad average is 84 then I would have a 3.7 and then a 3.9 with the masters. But if I add my grad classed it brings my average above 85 so I would have a 3.9 then a 4 with my masters?? For some reason that doesn't make sense to me....

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

When you're calculating your OMSAS GPA don't just convert your overall average into a GPA. You need to take every course individually and convert those to GPAs, then take the average of that. For the most part everyone's GPA drops when this happens.

I.e. for 5 courses you might have: 80, 80, 90, 100, 100 which would average to a 90 = 4.0. But you need to take 3.7, 3.7, 4, 4, 4 and average that to a 3.88.

Hey Chamilt,

With the amount of time you stayed in Northern Ontario and the your GPA. I'm almost certain you'll get an interview. As for your odds of getting in, really depends on how you do on the interview.

NOSM does like mature students, more than other med schools I think, so that'll help as well.

Yeah I figured out how to calculate and yes it dropped a little as expected. Still above the average so i'm happy with that.

Medtech, thanks. I figured the same thing, which i guess it comes down to anyway...the interview. Yeah I'll be 29 by next year, so they better like mature students! haha

Hey Chamlit,

I suspect you will get an interview. After that it is up to you as to how you perform at the interview in relation to all of the excellent applicants.

Check out some of stats of recently admitted students in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads. This should give you an idea where you fall within previous years pack in the objective measures anyway.

I am a practicing RD. Recently gained admission. :D

Where do you find these stats?

Archived