Premed 101 Forums

Taking summer school while preparing for the MCAT?

whattodo75

I am planning on writing the MCAT in end of August/beginning of September of next year so that I have the whole summer to study. I was thinking of taking Physics and Organic Chem in the summer in order to help me for my MCAT and to make sure I am eligible to apply to American schools. I haven't taken physics since Grade 12 high school.

Is it too much to take on 2 summer school courses + MCAT prep in one summer or will it be okay since the two courses are ON the MCAT?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on a lot of things. If that's all you got going on all summer, you should be fine. If you're working and doing lots of EC's, it could be a problem. It basically comes down to your background knowledge in the MCAT subjects and your time management skills. Many people have succeeded with a hectic schedule while others have faltered with a light schedule. It's highly variable on the individual.

^ Agreed!

However, speaking from personal experience, I would not recommend it. I have done that in the past and it was not a good idea. Organic Chemistry and Physics both require a considerable amount of time - they both have labs (at least once a week - depends on the course your are taking), multiple midterms, tutorials etc. Practise is the key to doing well in both the courses. Rushing it with other things is not going to make the cut.

This makes them above the typical average course load.

When I took them, I almost felt burnt out because I was juggling wayy too many things at the same time. Set your priorities and don't feel the need to rush it all. Might as well do few things but do them well.

But again, as stated, if you are a person who works well under pressure, this might not necessarily apply to you.

Good Luck!

You should be fine. They may be hard courses, but there are only 2... Plus if you have the whole summer for just these 2 courses and the MCAT, it should be no problem. Its a bonus that the courses are related to the MCAT - you could probably do 2 hard unrelated courses and study for the MCAT in the summer and still be okay.

To me taking 1 course during summer is like taking two courses; Since for most of summer class you will be doing the work load of 4 months in 45 days. In addition, organic and physic both have a heavier than average work load; so, I would consider each of them as 1.5 course. Since you are taking them in the summer, I would multiply the amount of time to study for each of these 1.5 courses by 2. At the end, you will spend copious amount of time just studying for these courses. However, doing these courses does not mean that you will do well in those section in the mcat. So, you still need to spend lots of time to learn mcat strategies for those sections as well.

However, as the other people said above, it really depends on the individual and your time management skills.

I would personally just do the courses this summer if I was not in a rush to write the mcat.

Good luck to you regardless of what path you choose

I don't see the problem with it at all. I find that I use my time better if I am busier. If you have all the time you need just to study for the MCAT, I doubt the time will be well used. I can't imagine studying for the MCAT more than 6 hours a day anyway so I'd say go for it. That being said, I'd make sure that you have 2-3 solid weeks of nothing else before your MCAT to write full exams. If you write 1 a day (harder than it sounds) and review your answers, this will easily use up all of your time.

^ Agreed!

However, speaking from personal experience, I would not recommend it. I have done that in the past and it was not a good idea. Organic Chemistry and Physics both require a considerable amount of time - they both have labs (at least once a week - depends on the course your are taking), multiple midterms, tutorials etc. Practise is the key to doing well in both the courses. Rushing it with other things is not going to make the cut.

This makes them above the typical average course load.

When I took them, I almost felt burnt out because I was juggling wayy too many things at the same time. Set your priorities and don't feel the need to rush it all. Might as well do few things but do them well.

But again, as stated, if you are a person who works well under pressure, this might not necessarily apply to you.

Good Luck!

+1

10char

Archived