Premed 101 Forums

For the pre-reqs like for chemistry and biology, can upper year courses be used to satisfy this requirment (as opposed to first year courses)? I did a lot better in the upper year courses than the first year ones, and it would make a significant difference in my pre-req average whether I included them or not.

thanks,

DE

They use it post-interview, but prerequisite average is not a factor in your pre-interview AQ.

UBC will take the first (chronologically) courses that satisfy the prerequisite requirements - so no, upper year courses will not be accepted in lieu of lower-division biology, chemistry, etc., credits.

For the pre-reqs like for chemistry and biology, can upper year courses be used to satisfy this requirment (as opposed to first year courses)? I did a lot better in the upper year courses than the first year ones, and it would make a significant difference in my pre-req average whether I included them or not.

thanks,

DE

no, they only use the lower levels. but pre-req gpa doesnt matter much, people get accepted with low 70s gpa in pre-req if you have a good mcat.

They use it post-interview, but prerequisite average is not a factor in your pre-interview AQ.

UBC will take the first (chronologically) courses that satisfy the prerequisite requirements - so no, upper year courses will not be accepted in lieu of lower-division biology, chemistry, etc., credits.

where does it say that?

I emailed them on OAS, and they confirmed that you must enter the first course/courses that satisfy the requirement, kind of bummed as well.

"Also, for prerequisites please select the first course that satisfied the requirement. You SHOULD NOT choose the class you got a higher mark in."

Cheers,

Your Admissions Team

MD Undergraduate Admissions

UBC Faculty of Medicine

where does it say that?

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

These academic evaluations are calculated:

• Overall academic average based on all university-level courses attempted (including summer courses taken prior to the year of application and graduate courses with grades, if applicable);
  • Adjusted academic average In addition to the overall academic average, an adjusted academic average is calculated for certain applicants. In the adjusted academic average the academic year with the lowest academic average will be dropped (if applicable). At most, 30 credits can be dropped. If more than 30 credits are presented in the worst academic year, the 30 credits with the lowest grades will be removed. In order to have the academic year with the lowest academic average dropped, applicants must have 90 credits with grades remaining by June 1.
  • Prerequisite average. As a rule, the first course taken that satisfies the requirement will be used in this calculation. When prerequisite courses are repeated, due to failure, both the initial and successful attempts are averaged. These rules will still apply if the academic year with the lowest academic average has been removed.

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/02/2011.2012.pdf

An academic score (AQ) out of 50 was generated from either the OGPA or a valid AGPA score.

If you're planning on applying to UBC (or any other school), carefully read all the admissions information - most of it is there! It helps to know what game you're playing. :)

Archived