Premed 101 Forums

Dietitian to Doctor?

Hello all,

I'm a non-trad relatively new to these forums. I'm currently finishing up a second undergraduate degree in nutrition, so that I have a back-up plan in place in case I don't make it into med school (I only became interested in medicine during my first degree, when I ended up dealing with several medical problems and having surgery for one of them).

I've seen on this forum that at least one member (RealBeef) was a registered dietitian before being accepted to med school, so that gives me some hope.

My first degree was in engineering. My OMSAS GPA is as follows for all my years of university (I also took a couple of courses as a non-degree student in between both degrees when I was working full time to explore options - took my physiology courses that way, as well as several nutrition courses).

Engineering grades:

Y1 (full course load): 3.94

Half Year (only did half a year of 4 courses): 3.95

Y2 (9 courses): 3.96

Y3 (major health issues, 8 courses): 3.62

Y4 (still major health issues, 5 courses over two semesters): 3.64

Y5 (half year to finish up degree, full course load of 5 courses): 3.92

Awards during engineering:

PEO Gold Medal

Dean's Scholarship

Had an NRC Women in Science and Engineering scholarship but had to give it up when I only did half a year in second year due to serious health issues

Nutrition grades:

Y1: 3.96

Y2: 4.00

Awards during nutrition:

NSERC USRA

ECs:

Group fitness (ie. aerobics) instructor (CanFitPro FIS, Resist-A-Ball CORE I & II, Zumba Basic 1)

Volunteer group fitness instructor for numerous organizations, including currently volunteering at the Y

Presented some healthy eating workshops and seminars at the Y

Running (completed three full marathons, a dozen half-marathons)

Triathlons (two sprint triathlons completed)

Volunteer note-taker for the Centre for Students with Disabilities

Volunteer annually at a major fitness conference

United Way Campaign volunteer two years while working as a public servant

Student member of Dietitians of Canada

Currently doing research in Food Science through an NSERC USRA

Work Experience:

Group fitness instructor (8 years)

Project manager for the Canadian Health Network at Health Canada in Ottawa (2 years)

Languages:

English (mother tongue)

French (excellent ability - Public Service Commission Levels: EEC - C is for my oral/speaking ability) - I'm not fluent, but very close

I will be writing the MCAT this summer. Practice exams have gone well (>10 on each section)

Location: Current Ontario resident (Southern Ontario). Did high school in Ottawa (and most of elementary school - grades 3 onwards). University in Southern Ontario. Born in Manitoba and lived there until age 8.

Anyhow, I will be applying both for dietetic internships and medical school in the coming year. Any advice on how I can improve my application for both of those endeavours? The academic counsellors in my nutrition program say that only about 50% of all nutrition grads get an internship, so those odds aren't terribly encouraging. Should I try at all costs to get in some food service or meal companion volunteer experience? Should I aim to do my fourth year thesis with an RD instead of with a prof who doesn't have an RD but who focuses on nutrition and physical activity (which is obviously where my interest in nutrition lies, given my group fitness and running activities)?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/advice/etc.

From a quick skim of your post, I would suggest checking U of M's entrance requirements, as you may qualify for in-province status. Check Ottawa's requirements as well (I'm not sure how they qualify this).

If you do well on your mcat (at least 11 in VR and at least 30 overall) you could try Western (EC's are important only in how you discuss them in your interview - you seem to have lots of material in this area) or Queen's because of your two excellent years in your second undergrad (as long as they were at a full course load).

Mac may be an option as well because your cumulative average would likely be quite good (without knowing an exact breakdown). Again, a high VR score is important.

As always, apply as broadly as you are able and be persistant.

You look like you will be an excellent med school applicant based on your GPA, awards and varied ECs.

It may be worth for both your med school application and dietetic internship application to get some health care volunteering in there. Certainly it will not set you apart from other applicants like your other more unique accolades and experiences but will give you a grounded basis from which to discuss health care scenerios/questions based on experience in the health care field, above and beyond being a patient within it.

During my various med school interviews in the past and present I felt the most prepared this time around partly because of my health care background which I was able to draw upon for various questions plus the interview prep materials (i.e. ethics books, etc.). For you dietetic internship app. it would be beneficial too to see if you could perhaps shadow an RD for a half a dozen 1-2 hr sessions. Just again to get a realistic idea of what they do day-to-day. I didnt do this myself but I know alot of internship applicants do and often you just need these things to stand toe-2-toe with each other and give you exposure to things so you sound like you know what you are talking about at the interview. Doesnt have to be a huge time commitment.

For my upcoming med school class I have already met another practicing RD who was accepted to my class so that is pretty neat.

Good luck in your endeavours and dont hesitate to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Beef

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Beef. :) I appreciate the advice from someone who was successful both in becoming a dietitian and in getting into med school. I will definitely PM you if I have more questions.

You can also feel free to PM me as well if you have any questions. I did the RD (as a second degree) to MD route too!

Hello all,

I'm a non-trad relatively new to these forums. I'm currently finishing up a second undergraduate degree in nutrition, so that I have a back-up plan in place in case I don't make it into med school (I only became interested in medicine during my first degree, when I ended up dealing with several medical problems and having surgery for one of them).

I've seen on this forum that at least one member (RealBeef) was a registered dietitian before being accepted to med school, so that gives me some hope.

My first degree was in engineering. My OMSAS GPA is as follows for all my years of university (I also took a couple of courses as a non-degree student in between both degrees when I was working full time to explore options - took my physiology courses that way, as well as several nutrition courses).

Engineering grades:

Y1 (full course load): 3.94

Half Year (only did half a year of 4 courses): 3.95

Y2 (9 courses): 3.96

Y3 (major health issues, 8 courses): 3.62

Y4 (still major health issues, 5 courses over two semesters): 3.64

Y5 (half year to finish up degree, full course load of 5 courses): 3.92

Awards during engineering:

PEO Gold Medal

Dean's Scholarship

Had an NRC Women in Science and Engineering scholarship but had to give it up when I only did half a year in second year due to serious health issues

Nutrition grades:

Y1: 3.96

Y2: 4.00

Awards during nutrition:

NSERC USRA

ECs:

Group fitness (ie. aerobics) instructor (CanFitPro FIS, Resist-A-Ball CORE I & II, Zumba Basic 1)

Volunteer group fitness instructor for numerous organizations, including currently volunteering at the Y

Presented some healthy eating workshops and seminars at the Y

Running (completed three full marathons, a dozen half-marathons)

Triathlons (two sprint triathlons completed)

Volunteer note-taker for the Centre for Students with Disabilities

Volunteer annually at a major fitness conference

United Way Campaign volunteer two years while working as a public servant

Student member of Dietitians of Canada

Currently doing research in Food Science through an NSERC USRA

Work Experience:

Group fitness instructor (8 years)

Project manager for the Canadian Health Network at Health Canada in Ottawa (2 years)

Languages:

English (mother tongue)

French (excellent ability - Public Service Commission Levels: EEC - C is for my oral/speaking ability) - I'm not fluent, but very close

I will be writing the MCAT this summer. Practice exams have gone well (>10 on each section)

Location: Current Ontario resident (Southern Ontario). Did high school in Ottawa (and most of elementary school - grades 3 onwards). University in Southern Ontario. Born in Manitoba and lived there until age 8.

Anyhow, I will be applying both for dietetic internships and medical school in the coming year. Any advice on how I can improve my application for both of those endeavours? The academic counsellors in my nutrition program say that only about 50% of all nutrition grads get an internship, so those odds aren't terribly encouraging. Should I try at all costs to get in some food service or meal companion volunteer experience? Should I aim to do my fourth year thesis with an RD instead of with a prof who doesn't have an RD but who focuses on nutrition and physical activity (which is obviously where my interest in nutrition lies, given my group fitness and running activities)?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/advice/etc.

Hi

If you are looking to became a doctor and you find that your grades are not that good enough to enter medical school I might have the solution. I have personally assisted many students from north america in fulfilling their ambtion of becoming a doctor by studying in europe and helping them through the registration exams in US or Canada. The tutuion fees are also a fraction of the price and you get a second chance in achieivng your potential.

Some of my students are currently working as residents in the US.

Please do not despair there are always second chances.

Archived