Premed 101 Forums

specialty

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

how do u specialize in ortho....

do u have to do the 5 yr residency in ortho surgery and then additional specialization ...for example in foot...spine....etc

Guest Ian Wong

Exactly. Everyone has to do the five year Ortho residency, and then you can apply for Ortho fellowships in a sub-specialty area after that. ie: Peds Ortho, Trauma Ortho, Spine, etc.

Ian

Guest RAK2005

Yeah, except in Toronto the length of the program is now 6 years (for the Class of 2004 applicants). The extra year is after 3rd year where you get to do a research year. Yippee.

Guest UWOMED2005

So U of T now has a MANDATORY research year for their orthopedics program? I thought they just but a lot of encouragement towards their residents to do research. Didn't realize that was mandatory.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I had a look through a number of the UofT residency programs a wee while back and almost all of them required at least one year in research to complete the residency. (Many of them also went on to suggest the completion of a M.Sc. or PhD.) On that note, I've run into a few individuals who already have PhDs in a variety of areas who have also been accepted to medical schools. Does anybody know what happens to these people when they reach residency? I wonder if they'd be pardoned from conducting further research, or would they still be required to do more in their field of residency?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

Hey Kirsteen, I asked that question in my MD/PhD interview, ie. what do people with a PhD do during residency, is research required? The answer was that you are exempt from the research component, but most people with a PhD want to do research and combine a year or two of being a post-doctoral fellow with their residency. Research is a broad term because I'm guessing that most MDs that do not have PhDs do "dry" research during residency (which fits in nicely with your clinical training) whereas basic scientists/MDs would probably take a year away from the clinic and do "wet" lab research.

Guest RAK2005

UWO2005,

Yeah, U of T's ortho page actually states:

"The orthopaedic program at the University of Toronto consists of five years of clinical training following graduation from medical school in addition to one compulsory year of research training for a total of six postgraduate years of training"

I wonder how many other programs will do this ? It is an easy way for the department to get publications out with a full year of protected research time... and you get paid at PGY3 levels for two years ! Next thing you know, they'll have you go back to med school after you graduate.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Biochem10,

Thanks for the response. I also received a little added insight yesterday when I met with one person who is intimately involved in UofT meds issues, and who has insights into some really neat things including the MD/PhD program workings. I asked the very same question and he motioned that the ability to opt out of extra research during residency negotiable at the time of hiring (with the residency director). However, he noted that these exceptions must be filed and passed with the Royal College as apparently it is ultimately they who will accredit the physician (apparently this hurdle is generally not too high though). :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived