Premed 101 Forums

New formula for 2012/2013 cycle

There may very well be a slight increase in average GPA but not to a tremendous extent. 32% still means CASPer will make or break your application.

This paper may be helpful in terms of how McMaster evaluates CASPer (especially under the methodology section):

http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Abstract/2009/10001/Extending_the_Interview_to_All_Medical_School.4.aspx

My GPA is ~3.73... I have never done Casper nor MMI before... I'm going to do everything I can to prepare because I don't want to have a disastrous time doing them lol

I wish you only the best! Let's just hope that McMaster revert back to last year's formula for next year's cycle!

My GPA is ~3.73... I have never done Casper nor MMI before... I'm going to do everything I can to prepare because I don't want to have a disastrous time doing them lol

My GPA is somewhere around there too. I have never done either as well. How did your MCAT go? Are you going to a seminar? I am going to the one in Kitchener tomorrow :)

Thank you Benge88!

Sprinkles and impossible, lets be friends :) I am still going tonight to Kitchener. I'll relay as best I can anything exciting that happens. I went up for a tour on Monday of the Hamilton campus. I was in love :)

yay! friendsies! ;) lol

Isn't the Hamilton one in July?! I was thinking of going to it..:S

Oh and please do relay back! :)

I really really really want to go to the Hamilton one but I work so its hard....it sucks that its on a Tuesday because I live really far away so I would have to take Monday to Wednesday off to be able to make the trip worth while!

Remember, if your GPA is low, then you can compensate by rewriting until you score very high on the VR. If both your GPA and MCAT are low, then it's difficult to get an interview no matter how well you do on CASPer, but if you have a low GPA with a high VR, it will offset itself in the formula. There just aren't that many applicants with >=13 MCAT VR. (Obviously because it's incredibly hard to do that well).

I scored 10 on VR... I'm thinking about re-taking it tho... but still undecided on that part... How about yourself?

I'm considering about attending the one on July 24th @ Hamilton Campus

If you have a decent GPA, then 10 is fine. I got 10 on VR and got an acceptance this year.

Even if your GPA is not excellent, there is still a way to offset that with a strong CASPer performance.

Unless you know you can do better, I wouldnt write the MCAT again.

Just my opinon though.

If you have a decent GPA, then 10 is fine. I got 10 on VR and got an acceptance this year.

Even if your GPA is not excellent, there is still a way to offset that with a strong CASPer performance.

Unless you know you can do better, I wouldnt write the MCAT again.

Just my opinon though.

Hey,

My GPA is around 3.73... Should I try to score > 10 on VR or focus on my CASPER?

Hey,

My GPA is around 3.73... Should I try to score > 10 on VR or focus on my CASPER?

It all depends on how likely you think you are to improve on VR. If you're sure that after a bit of studying you can improve your score by a few points, go for it! However, if you're going to study all summer and you don't think its likely that you'll improve by much, I'd say focus on other things that will increase your change of getting in. CASPer is a stressful process! In each section, you get 5 minutes to formuate answers to 3 questions. That doesn't give you much time so practice forming an informed opinion quickly and being able to articulate your thoughts. My advice would be to find someone to practice debating with. Put a bunch of controversial issues in a hat. Draw out scenarios and give yourself 1 minute to prepare before engaging in discussion. You can also do this alone but I think that listening to someone elses opinos may help one see things from different perspectives (which is an imporatnt skill for the MMI).

Also, know yourself. Be able to answer typical interview questions.

I'm no expert on the process or CASPer but let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to help.

It all depends on how likely you think you are to improve on VR. If you're sure that after a bit of studying you can improve your score by a few points, go for it! However, if you're going to study all summer and you don't think its likely that you'll improve by much, I'd say focus on other things that will increase your change of getting in. CASPer is a stressful process! In each section, you get 5 minutes to formuate answers to 3 questions. That doesn't give you much time so practice forming an informed opinion quickly and being able to articulate your thoughts. My advice would be to find someone to practice debating with. Put a bunch of controversial issues in a hat. Draw out scenarios and give yourself 1 minute to prepare before engaging in discussion. You can also do this alone but I think that listening to someone elses opinos may help one see things from different perspectives (which is an imporatnt skill for the MMI).

I'm no expert on the process or CASPer but let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to help.

I see. If you don't mind can you come on flashchat for a few mins?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.premed101.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

• 5 months later...

The theme in this thread has been high VR, lower GPA. What do you think about a high GPA, but low VR? I also had a lot of practice with the CASPer beforehand, so although I don't know how well I did, I don't think that I bombed it. I'd be happy to share the exact numbers over PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived