Premed 101 Forums

Chemical Biology, Honours Chemistry, Honours Biology

Does anyone have experience with the Chemical Biology program at Mcmaster University? I am intrigued about the program description, and heard many good opinions about it. However, it lacks elective space which is a bit of a concern for me. I would like your input.

In addition, I am looking at entering into Honours Chemistry or Honours Biology. I like the amount of elective space, As well, the ability to specialize in disciplines such as Physiology,or Advanced Materials.

To get to the point, I am fundamentally confused about what to major in. I read threads on pm101 that suggest to major in something easy to get a high GPA, something you love so you are not miserable, or something unconventional like wine tasting to make you stand out. If you were in my situation what would you choose? Or rather, why are you studying the program you are in right now?

I'm doing biology, life sciences stream, because I love the subject matter, and I'm flexible enough to use it to craft a variety of backup plans should my goal of medicine not work out. Lots of unemployed people with bachelors out there, though, so I'm not really banking on this being my only degree, but it's where I want to start for where I want to end up.

Archived