Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply this year or not?

Hello,

I am sure you are sick of these threads but I could really use some feedback and I am not sure who else to ask!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out on deciding to apply to American schools this year or not, as well as if I would be a competitive applicant for American schools.

I am currently heading into my final year of my MSc, so I would hope to start medical school in Fall 2013. However, I haven't chosen my target US schools and haven't started the primary apps at all. I've been very busy with my research and coursework among other things and haven't had the chance, and I am afraid I would only get everything in by mid-late July, which might hurt my chances

My undergrad GPA was a 3.64 in Honours Immunology (with an upward trend, i.e. a 3.9 in my last year) and I currently have a 4.0 at the MSc level. My MCAT was 10PS, 9VR, 12BS and R on the WS. In addition to my MSc, I have three summers of undergrad research experience as well as my honours research thesis, a few scholarships and awards for research, no published papers (yet-but will have 1-3 by the end of my MSc) but I do have my name on ~7 published abstracts with one being first author, and many presentations at local, national, and international conferences. I am also pursuing an extra graduate diploma right now (GPA 3.84) on top of my MSc as a condition for my fellowship.

For ECs, volunteering at a senior's hospital (100 hrs), running local MUN for high school students (5 years, too many hours to count..maybe 500?), student council, co-president of student club, dance, and a few other things here and there.

Thank you for your help in advance!

There have been many applicants in a similar situation, so reading other threads would give you much advice.

Based on your stats (grad-level GPA will not be heavily considered), re-taking the MCAT for a 33+ would help you tremendously in terms of gaining admission to a low-tier MD school.

Do you have enough clinical experience? Eg. physician shadowing?

Getting AMCAS submitted by mid- or late-July would definitely hurt your chances, especially someone with below-average numbers.

You seem like a good candidate for some Canadian schools though.

If you apply to a lot reasonable schools for your stats I think you have a good shot at American schools - you MSc will be a big plus. Good luck!

I thought admissions don't usually heavily consider grad-level GPA from previous posts on premed101 & SDN - could you clarify please? I'm not in a grad degree, but I might have to consider the possibility.

Grad degree itself is barely looked at is. But if you are productive at research. Gotten publications, good networkings, attended conferences are all good EC's that can push you over the edge assuming your GPA and MCAT make it past the weeding out process.

Grad degree itself is barely looked at is. But if you are productive at research. Gotten publications, good networkings, attended conferences are all good EC's that can push you over the edge assuming your GPA and MCAT make it past the weeding out process.

An MSc will not help for GPA, but like deathvvv said it will help with pubs to get you an interview. Once you have that interview it is definitely a plus when they are comparing you to any other applicant because you have a higher degree and allows you to add "diversity" to the class.

Archived