Premed 101 Forums

Research, or go travelling?

I'm starting my first year of medical school in the fall, and had a question about travelling!

My major was biology, and this summer I was supposed to do research with a professor of mine. However, I would much rather go to Europe with my girlfriend!!

Before making my decision, I wanted to know if losing this research experience would hinder my chances for residency at all? For example, maybe I would be able to get better research positions later on in medical school if I keep my position this summer?

Thanks for your input!

I'm starting my first year of medical school in the fall, and had a question about travelling!

My major was biology, and this summer I was supposed to do research with a professor of mine. However, I would much rather go to Europe with my girlfriend!!

Before making my decision, I wanted to know if losing this research experience would hinder my chances for residency at all? For example, maybe I would be able to get better research positions later on in medical school if I keep my position this summer?

Thanks for your input!

Congrats! Where did you get in?

How much time were you planning to spend in Europe? Could you do some of both this summer?

Since you will already be a medical student, I wouldn't think this would have a large influence on your chances of getting a research position after 1st or 2nd year.. unless perhaps you have no prior research experience before medical school.

All I can tell you is that if I was in your position I would opt for going to Europe. Research is great and for some residencies it is very important. However, from what I have seen, landing research positions as a medical student is more about approaching people and asking for opportunities than doing prior research so your can beat out any competition for getting additional research.

Ultimately its up to you. Getting a head start is always a good thing, but with some elbow grease you can probably make up for it later AND enjoy Europe. Keep in mind that time spent with significant others can take a hit during medical school, it can be important to log the time while you can.

Archived