Premed 101 Forums

Chances for a US student with Dual Citizenship

Hi everyone. First time posting on this forum. I am both a Canadian & US citizen. I've spent most of my life living in the US, but spent a few of my early years in Toronto and visit there every year. I'm not at all against the idea of coming to Canada for school and/or practicing medicine. Here are some of my application details:

Went to a medium-sized Midwest school; Biomedical Science major (lots of upper level science)

3.78 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA (upward trend)

31R MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)

A summer internship in a local public health department

Volunteering in a hospital & free clinic (very hands-on)

Anatomy & Gross Anatomy Lab TA

Some research in neuroscience (poster presentation later this summer)

Leadership positions in a couple organizations + community service stuff

Youth mentorship

I was wondering what my chances would be like applying to U of T. I understand they put a lot of emphasis on GPA over MCAT, and my cGPA is slightly lower than their average. I would also want to keep my options open as far as returning to the US (Step 1 prep?). Just trying to get a feel for all this and see if I should give OMSAS a shot. I love Toronto (& Canada) and would be interested in possibily moving north! Any help would be appreciated.

Just did that! Boosts my cGPA up to a 3.87. I'll definitely be applying to the school in my state. It's competitive, but I'm optimistic. Just want to keep my options open. When do people normally get OMSAS in? Later in July?

Just did that! Boosts my cGPA up to a 3.87. I'll definitely be applying to the school in my state. It's competitive, but I'm optimistic. Just want to keep my options open. When do people normally get OMSAS in? Later in July?

Unlike US schools, it's all hard deadlines with no preference to submission date. I would hazard a guess and say the mode of application submissions is the days leading up to the deadline.

You may find that U of T's application process is the most similar to what you'll find in the States so I'd say you're looking good.

Archived