Premed 101 Forums

Desperately Need an english or writing course for western pt

Hi does anyone know any approved english or writing courses for using to satisfy the english/writing prerequisite for western pt?

I've started an online english course at athabasca this month called eng 255: introductory composition to satisfy this requirement but so far have regretted it big time. I've taken around a dozen online courses and this has to be by far the worst run online course I've ever taken. I'm also taking an online course at york right now and it is like night and day.

The course taught at athabasca is completely unorganized and the website looks like it was designed by a high school student. There is no discussion board to talk to other students or ask questions. The only thing on the discussion board are announcements that date back to 2010!:eek: The textbook I received is an outdated text, yet they chose to use an unpublished textbook for my readings and assignments as well as our student guide. I constantly have to refer back to the website to look for the updated pages and to know where to find all the chapters and readings. What a waste of time. What the hell was the point of sending me an outdated textbook if they are going to use a new one for our readings and assignments?

The TA who is suppose to be the course instructor is completely useless. He doesn't email or announce anything and your basically left to do everything yourself. The school has established a policy where assignments are suppose to be returned back within 5 days and when I emailed the ta about this. He sent me some word document saying that its now 7-8 days. I submitted my first assignment to him 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive it back. I emailed him about it and he just replies back saying he has 7-8 days. It appears he clearly cannot count. I also asked if its possible to speed up marking of future assignments as I intend to complete the course by the end of the summer but he seemed to ignore that part of my email.

I wouldn't be so worried about this, except the student guide has established guidelines and due dates. First I was lead to believe I have 6 months to complete the course, but it seems their are assignments due every week and we are suppose to receive back our old assignments before submitting the new assignments. I'm already 2 assignments behind the course because of the TA. I'm planning to also complete the course by the end of the summer, but with this TA taking his sweet time, I don't know if thats possible. I've become quite frustrated with this TA. I looked up his ratemyprofessor rating and he didn't do so well. I'm really considering dropping this course.

I'm planning to submit my application to orpas this december and am in desperate need of another english/writing course.

I seriously need some alternatives. Anyone know if they consider any prerequisite completed in the winter term if your applying for the next cycle (2013) even though they will only look at my fall grades as my last semester? I'm feeling quite stressed out about this now :( .

RELAX lol. u can totally take a prerequisite course in your final year (either fall 2012 or winter 2013). Just be sure to note that if you take it in fall 2012...it will count towards ur GPA whereas if you take it in winter 2013 it won't. u'll be fine man, don't worry.

if you really feel like your doing terrible in your english athabasca course (it sounds terrible btw), i would drop it before it shows up on your transcript and take another course next year during your final yr of school. what's your drop date?

RELAX lol. u can totally take a prerequisite course in your final year (either fall 2012 or winter 2013). Just be sure to note that if you take it in fall 2012...it will count towards ur GPA whereas if you take it in winter 2013 it won't. u'll be fine man, don't worry.

if you really feel like your doing terrible in your english athabasca course (it sounds terrible btw), i would drop it before it shows up on your transcript and take another course next year during your final yr of school. what's your drop date?

+1 to what Jonnny said. If you're going to do bad, drop and retake it later.

I'm not sure how I'm doing right now as the TA hasn't returned my assignments yet so I have zero feedback. I have till the day I request the final exam to drop it so I still got a lot of time but I'm just really sick of how the TA is jerking me around as I really depend on this english credit to apply to western.

I'm not sure how I'm doing right now as the TA hasn't returned my assignments yet so I have zero feedback. I have till the day I request the final exam to drop it so I still got a lot of time but I'm just really sick of how the TA is jerking me around as I really depend on this english credit to apply to western.
No, you have the first 3 months to drop without penalty. If you drop after that it'll be recorded as a drop with penalty (i believe it counts as a 0). Double check just to be sure though

No, you have the first 3 months to drop without penalty. If you drop after that it'll be recorded as a drop with penalty (i believe it counts as a 0). Double check just to be sure though

I just found this on the site:

Policy Statements

1. Students have the ability to withdraw from an individualized study course and potentially receive a refund if they determine they cannot finish the course, provided they meet the following criteria:

a. Prior to, and up to 30 days after, the course contract start date:

Students who withdraw prior to, and up to 30 days after, the course contract start date are eligible for a refund of course fees paid, less the Withdrawal Processing Fee and the Learning Resource Fee (unless the materials are returned as per the Course Material Returns and Refund Policy). Please refer to the Undergraduate Course Withdrawal and Refund Procedures – Individualized Study (link) for further information on obtaining a refund. The course will not appear on the transcript.

b. After 30 days and on or before the course contract end date:

Students who withdraw from a course after 30 days, and on or before the course contract end date, will receive a grade of “W” (withdrawal) on the transcript and credit will not be awarded for the course. No refunds will be given.

c. After the course contract end date:

Students cannot withdraw after the course contract end date. If no course work has been completed, a grade of "F" (Failure) will be assigned and recorded on the transcript. No refunds will be given.

My contract end date is 6 months. So does that mean I got more than 3 months to drop it?

Do you guys know if queens requires any general elective courses like western, u of t, and mcmaster?

I couldn't find anything on their website on that. I only found this:

Prerequisite Courses

Eligible students will have completed at the university level: courses in introductory psychology (0.5 credit), statistics (0.5 credit), and courses with substantive content in human anatomy and physiology (minimum 0.5 credit each):

So far I've taken a 3 credit general elective (economics) and currently completed a 6 credit introduction to psychology course at york, so should I be good with these 3 schools? I'm hoping if I can't get into any english courses I can still fall back on these 3 schools: toronto, mcmaster, and queens.

Sorry but I'm really stressed out right now about how this english course has turned it and I'm freaking out about if I still can get into any of the schools now. Its been a nightmare trying to enroll in all the courses I originally planned out due to some issues with my academic advisor but thats a whole other story and now I'm having issues with this course.

whats on the site is what you need! no tricks! :)

However..Queen's is an oddball, I would not bank on it if I were you.

I'd focus on GPA so you are in the running for the 3 other schools who have a more clear cut admission process.

As for English

if you are not applying this fall, I would suggest taking ENG 112 at Ryerson. It's called Zap Pow Bang Pop Lit. Fun course and counts as english credit!

I did it on Letter of Permission a few years ago, the books the Prof chose were great and it was a nice small class. Good for discussion and getting help.

Hi does anyone know any approved english or writing courses for using to satisfy the english/writing prerequisite for western pt?

I've started an online english course at athabasca this month called eng 255: introductory composition to satisfy this requirement but so far have regretted it big time. I've taken around a dozen online courses and this has to be by far the worst run online course I've ever taken. I'm also taking an online course at york right now and it is like night and day.

The course taught at athabasca is completely unorganized and the website looks like it was designed by a high school student. There is no discussion board to talk to other students or ask questions. The only thing on the discussion board are announcements that date back to 2010!:eek: The textbook I received is an outdated text, yet they chose to use an unpublished textbook for my readings and assignments as well as our student guide. I constantly have to refer back to the website to look for the updated pages and to know where to find all the chapters and readings. What a waste of time. What the hell was the point of sending me an outdated textbook if they are going to use a new one for our readings and assignments?

The TA who is suppose to be the course instructor is completely useless. He doesn't email or announce anything and your basically left to do everything yourself. The school has established a policy where assignments are suppose to be returned back within 5 days and when I emailed the ta about this. He sent me some word document saying that its now 7-8 days. I submitted my first assignment to him 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive it back. I emailed him about it and he just replies back saying he has 7-8 days. It appears he clearly cannot count. I also asked if its possible to speed up marking of future assignments as I intend to complete the course by the end of the summer but he seemed to ignore that part of my email.

I wouldn't be so worried about this, except the student guide has established guidelines and due dates. First I was lead to believe I have 6 months to complete the course, but it seems their are assignments due every week and we are suppose to receive back our old assignments before submitting the new assignments. I'm already 2 assignments behind the course because of the TA. I'm planning to also complete the course by the end of the summer, but with this TA taking his sweet time, I don't know if thats possible. I've become quite frustrated with this TA. I looked up his ratemyprofessor rating and he didn't do so well. I'm really considering dropping this course.

I'm planning to submit my application to orpas this december and am in desperate need of another english/writing course.

I seriously need some alternatives. Anyone know if they consider any prerequisite completed in the winter term if your applying for the next cycle (2013) even though they will only look at my fall grades as my last semester? I'm feeling quite stressed out about this now :( .

If you call Western and talk to the program receptionist, you can tell her what university you are attending and they'll give you a list of approved english courses from your university. I wouldn't just take any old english course because there has to be an essay-writing component (1500 words of essay writing, which pretty much any course would have). I think her name is Donna Beer if I remember correctly. I'd drop this English coufse you're taking online now, it sounds unreliable since you aren't getting old assignments back before doing the new ones. There's no way to figure out what they're looking for.

Relax though, it'll all work out. And Western is not as picky about their prerequisites now as they were before the 2011-12 application year

If you call Western and talk to the program receptionist, you can tell her what university you are attending and they'll give you a list of approved english courses from your university. I wouldn't just take any old english course because there has to be an essay-writing component (1500 words of essay writing, which pretty much any course would have). I think her name is Donna Beer if I remember correctly. I'd drop this English coufse you're taking online now, it sounds unreliable since you aren't getting old assignments back before doing the new ones. There's no way to figure out what they're looking for.

Relax though, it'll all work out. And Western is not as picky about their prerequisites now as they were before the 2011-12 application year

Unfortunately my university (guelph-humber) doesn't offer many general electives ( like 15 or so) and only 1 of them was approved by western but unfortunately its being taught on a day when I'm doing my internship placement and therefore I can't take it. I also spoke to donna about her providing me a list of approved english courses from the ontario universitys but she said she can't do that. My fall schedule is pretty hectic as well, so I think my only recourse is to take it during the winter semester.

I'm leaning towards york university. I've completed 1 course during this summer and in the process of completing another one there and so far have had a very positive experience with the york courses. I don't know if I can get a letter of permission from my university but who cares, its kind of their fault I'm in this situation to begin with since they offer next to none english/writing courses and the academic advisor screwing me over with her unreasonable lateness (4-6 wks) submitting my paperwork to york leading to the course I originally wanting to take being full.

Any suggestions for easy english courses at york guys?

Does a W (withdrawal) on your transcript look bad? Stupid athabasca puts a retarded Withdrawal on my transcript even though I dropped the course like 40 days after it started. Most ontario universities just don't put anything down but athabasca some how feels it needs to put withdrawal when I drop a course. Does this affect my admission into pt school? I so regretted taking this course at athabasca.

• 1 year later...
Do an online course. There are many universities that offer them (you would need an LOP) but it's totally worth it. There are many summer English courses offered as well if you're in a city with a university and could afford to spend 4 hours in class each week.

Not needed anymore, since I got into U of T and this post was a year old!

Archived