Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

I am starting the occupational therapy program at U of T in September, and I have a few questions about OSAP.

I worked all throughout undergrad, so I've only accumulated $7000 worth of loans at this point, but since I was in school all this summer, this is the first school year that I will be starting with no money saved up whatsoever.

I have been given an estimate of $16,500 for the period of September to July 27th (2012-2013), but I have been told that typically OSAP only makes you pay back $7000 of it each year. Can anyone verify that this is true? Would this hold true for me even though I have not taken out much OSAP in the past? If this is the case, is there any incentive for me whatsoever to get a part-time job (like I was planning on doing), since OSAP will claw away at the free money before it claws away at the loan money?

I'm very confused about this whole process and I want to be as smart as possible with this. Any advice you might be able to offer me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Archived