Premed 101 Forums

Should I take the MCAT even if I'm unprepared??

Sigg

Hey everyone, I need some advice here.

I registered to take the MCAT on July 6th. I originally thought in April that two months of studying would be enough, but unfortunately it wasn't as much time as I thought it'd be, I fell behind, and I'm nowhere near being ready.

It's too late now to reschedule it (had to have been 14 days in advance), so my question is - should I just go ahead and write it even though I'm not prepared at all, or should I cancel it? I definitely know that I'm not going to score very high (I've only done a diagnostic and got a 20)

I guess I'm just worried about whether a really bad score would look bad on future applications to medical schools, even if I take it again and score better. I know schools explicitly say they only look at your last score (or best score, depending on the school), but I mean, it's still THERE, y'know. Would it affect anything at all??

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I think "technically" it doesnt affect future scores but someone also posted a link once that showed that people that have taken it 3+ times rarely got in (could be due to other factors though).

I worry about having a poor score on my record also

Can't you just VOID the exam at the end if you feel you didn't perform adequately? :P But if you're stuck with time around the date, don't do it, if you make a mistake in judging your performance and don't void it, you could have a bad score showing. See your Practice tests trend first with many trials.

Sigh.

I felt ready. I felt good. I lost my EK books and found them the night before, but I felt that I had practiced enough beforehand.

I don't feel so good now!

I also wrote July 6th. How do you feel now?

I ended up rescheduling, lol. I didn't feel like writing it when I was that unprepared.

I'm sure you did great! :)

Archived