Premed 101 Forums

Which verbal passages should I do?

meniscus

Would it be more beneficial to do Kaplan verbal passages I have NOT done before as opposed to redoing passages I have ALREADY done from Examkrackers and the TPRH verbal workbook last year? (I’ve read that the general consensus is that Examkrackers and the TPRH verbal workbook are the best)

Are there any other prep companies that you would recommend for verbal passages?

Thank you:)

No, I mean kaplan verbal passages from old tests (Kaplan tests 6-11; 9 passages each-85 mins), the kaplan VR and writing book that you can buy off amazon, and finally Kaplan VR strategy and practice book that comes with the course. [159 passages in total]

Kaplan is generally not as highly recommended for verbal as their questions don't seem to reflect the aamc-style questions. Have you done the AAMC verbal self assessment package? It contains 120 official aamc verbal questions from old practice exams (aamc 1, 2, 6) so that would be the best resource you could use assuming you've done all the aamc practice tests. TPR verbal is generally regarded as being a bit better than Kaplan so I guess the tpr material is your next best option. If you buy the tpr verbal review book (not workbook) it gives you access to about 27 passages online (so ~47 passages total including the ones in the book)

All that being said, Kaplan verbal material can still be used for practice (ie:help increase your reading speed, etc.) but it's just not that indicative of what you will see on the mcat.

Kaplan is generally not as highly recommended for verbal as their questions don't seem to reflect the aamc-style questions. Have you done the AAMC verbal self assessment package? It contains 120 official aamc verbal questions from old practice exams (aamc 1, 2, 6) so that would be the best resource you could use assuming you've done all the aamc practice tests. TPR verbal is generally regarded as being a bit better than Kaplan so I guess the tpr material is your next best option. If you buy the tpr verbal review book (not workbook) it gives you access to about 27 passages online (so ~47 passages total including the ones in the book)

All that being said, Kaplan verbal material can still be used for practice (ie:help increase your reading speed, etc.) but it's just not that indicative of what you will see on the mcat.

No, I haven't done the AAMC verbal self assessment package. I plan to do that package and the AAMC tests a few weeks before my test date. Also, I've already finished all those online TPR passages that come w/ the review book.

Does anyone know where I can get some TPR tests? I have practice tests A-D, but I think there's like 10-11 TPR tests that come w/ the prep course.

Thanks!

Archived