Premed 101 Forums

Take post-bac or Repeat bad grades

Hi everyone,

I have recently graduated from Bio program with a GPA of 3.0.

I will be applying to US medical schools broadly in next cycle. However due to my low cGPA Ive decided to increase my GPA. Im stuck with two decison, hence Id really appreciate some advice on my situation. Here are my thoughts if you have any alternative thoughts please let me know.

1) to take an extra year to repeat all my bad grades, knowing that some schools look at my repeated grade only, my GPA will significantly increase up to 3.4-3.5

2) to take a one year post-bact degree, although postbac is only offered in USA, Ive heard there are certain rules for Canadians that their postbac degree can be recognized by USA.

Thank you,

what is your mcat? can is make up for the gpa?

apply "next" cycle...means you will be "free for 2 years"..yes 2..do the calculation

id re-due all the classes..rye is great for that (if ur from toronto)- easy to get 90s to make up for your worst classes..to drive up your gpa...and apply THIS cycle (i dont know your mcat)

at least you can say a. im going to lift my gpa to XXX to the schools

and b. gain experience with the admission process..it STARTS fast! and people have already looking to book interview in sept and be proactive with the admission comittee (let them know who you are...call them!)

goodluck...

dont give up...i had "similar" stats...(sort of..lol)...

i lifted my gpa from a 2.0 to a 3.3 (with out retakes!)..plus a masters with 4.0

the stats are aganst you (esp being canadian..most of the schools throw your app out) but if you put the effort...you will get accepted...goodluck!

Archived