Premed 101 Forums

Adivce

Hey guys, been lurking around for awhile and just want to really hear what you guys think and any advice you have

I'm an IP for Quebec @ McGill, and finished my 1st yr with 3.51, a rather crummy GPA. I applied to McGill'S IHI and Physiology Honours program, both of which I wasn't accepted (most likely b/c of my crappy GPA). Is this lack of acceptance to either program a slight indication that I will hav trouble getting into med school for Canada? My EC's are the general, writing MCAT @ end of this summer, though I've been struggling a lot with the VR section (less than 8). Any suggestions on what I can do to put myself back into the competition? I don't want this to be the end of the road for me... :(

Hello. Just because you received a subpar gpa in your first year, does not mean that you can't improve it in your remaining years. You must first find what your weakness was that caused you to receive the grades you did. It may have been a lack of understanding of the subject material, it could be that you did poorly on midterms and exams, or it could be that you procrastinated too much. Ultimately, the key to a higher gpa is diligence. If you really try to understand the subject material instead of memorizing your way through, you will reap the benefits. VR is tough for many science students because of their attention to detail. If you try to understand every last detail in a VR passage, you will not do well. VR is all about understanding the author and his perspectives and the overall message. It is never the end of the road my friend. Always believe that you will get into medical school and that you will have success in your life. Good Luck.

Hey guys, been lurking around for awhile and just want to really hear what you guys think and any advice you have

I'm an IP for Quebec @ McGill, and finished my 1st yr with 3.51, a rather crummy GPA. I applied to McGill'S IHI and Physiology Honours program, both of which I wasn't accepted (most likely b/c of my crappy GPA). Is this lack of acceptance to either program a slight indication that I will hav trouble getting into med school for Canada? My EC's are the general, writing MCAT @ end of this summer, though I've been struggling a lot with the VR section (less than 8). Any suggestions on what I can do to put myself back into the competition? I don't want this to be the end of the road for me... :(

Hi there. You are not in as bad shape as you may think. Many students do poorly in the first year as they had difficulty adjusting to new study regimes and university life. A 3.51 gpa for first year, although to stellar, is not a disaster and is certainly not the end of the world by far. You still have plenty of opportunities to improve that. Even though you did not get into the program to which you applied, you still have a good 2-3 years to improve your GPA and build your e.c.'s. Once you feel you have your GPA under control, then start focusing more and more on e.c.'s. Don't do e.c.'s because you feel you have to, do them because you want to or else you will be miserable.

Good Luck,

Any questions, just PM me.

ABS:)

Archived