Premed 101 Forums

Residency positions in BC vs. Toronto

Guest Alvin

Guest Alvin

I am interested in surgical oncology. I imagine I would need to do general surgery first. How many residency spots are there in BC for this (where can I look this up?) and in Toronto?

As well, how would you find out who the residency director is for different specialties?

thanks.

Guest Random

Hi there,

I believe a good place to start for Residency stats in Canada is the following site:

http://www.carms.ca

They list specialities by school/specialty and also provide stats on how many spots, vacancies after certain iterations, as well as names and contact info for the directors of each program etc.

Check it out, I think you will find some answers there.

Good luck

Guest Ian Wong

Surgical oncology is an oncology fellowship following a General Surgery residency. As you've already guessed, this means that you must first enter a Gen Surg program, and the place to look these up is at the CaRMS web-site.

Try here, and then click on "Programs by Specialty" and then on "General Surgery"

www.carms.ca/programdir/program_index.htm

As you can see by flipping around in here a little bit, UBC had spots for 5 Gen Surg residents (for which 93 people applied and 34 were interviewed) this past year, and U of T had 10 spots for which 104 people applied and 64 were interviewed. Most of the applicants were the same people (ie. students applying to U of T and UBC simultaneously), and the overall match rate into General Surgery for this year at any location was 96% for those that ranked it as their first choice. Gen Surg has become a less and less popular specialty over the last few years because of its long residency time, relatively lower pay compared to other surgical specialties, and fairly active call schedule even after residency has been completed.

www.carms.ca/stats/stats_index.htm

and click on Stats for 2001.

Do realise that most medical students will change their minds several times before finally arriving in Med 4 and CaRMS-time, and that many other surgical specialties can also incorporate surgical removal of tumors into their work.

eg.

Otolaryngology has a Head and Neck cancer fellowship.

Neurosurgery will extract brain and spinal cord tumors.

Urology handles prostates, bladder cancer, and kidneys.

Ob/Gyn often handles female reproductive tract cancers eg. cervix, endometrium, ovaries...

Thoracics handles lung cancer.

Dermatologists/Plastics handle most skin cancers.

And of course there's radiation oncology for diffuse or surgically unmanageable tumors (often deep within the head and neck) and medical oncology/hematology which handles chemotherapy(you can't really surgically excise a leukemia or a lymphoma).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived