Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? One semester 1.4, otherwise 4.0 GPA

Guest Yman

okay i really want an honest answer, im a bio student at MUN and i finished my 2nd year, im an international student and i had a very very rough gpa during my first TERM ONLY, i got a 1.4, however i decided to change that and ive maintaned a 4.0 straight after and ive been really active, volunteerin in health care enviornments and shadowin physicians , do u think i stand a chance for MUN MED, what should i do, should i keep mainiainin that 4.0 and hope MUN MED would see that improvement or should i consider something else like the carribean????

MUN uses your entire record, but the average overall grade for previous entering classes is ~80%. I'm not on the adcom, but IMO what you need to show with your coursework is that you're capable of making it through the medical curriculum. If you had an overall average of 80%, I would say you would be competitive with anyone else with an 80% average. If I was looking at your record, I would think that you really screwed up your first semester, but are otherwise a very capable student. If I was interviewing you, I might ask you to explain that one semester though.

Guest Jochi1543

HP is right; also, if you apply to schools other than MUN (which you probably should anyway to up your chances), you'll see that a lot of them use weighted GPA. Some, like Toronto, let you drop some of your worst grades depending on how many full-time years you've taken at uni; others, like U of Calgary, will only look at your 2 best years when considering you for the interview.

Thanks alot people, you really helped me alot, how i got this improvement was due to the fact that I practically lived in the study room lol..but thanks anyway guys

Archived