Premed 101 Forums

Ualberta pharmacy and AP courses

dreamerman

I was wondering if you say take credit for AP biology at u of a (biol 107), if your ap grade counts towards the pharmacy pre requisite. For example I got a 5 on the bio AP exam, does that mean a get a A=4.0 in biol 107. If you did all the pre reqs in one year and took an elective in place of a AP credit, do you still get the full course load boost in your app?

I was wondering if you say take credit for AP biology at u of a (biol 107), if your ap grade counts towards the pharmacy pre requisite. For example I got a 5 on the bio AP exam, does that mean a get a A=4.0 in biol 107. If you did all the pre reqs in one year and took an elective in place of a AP credit, do you still get the full course load boost in your app?

Yes, Pharmacy will consider that as an A meaning 4.0 GPA. If you take an elective in its place, it will be considered a full course load.

Be careful about doing everything in one year. Organic chem in Fall without university intro chem will need more effort on your behalf. Pre-req GPA stays with you forever...but if you can put in the effort, go for it! (you'll save a year!)

Well I believe you need a 90 in chem 30 to take chem 164, then subsequently 263. 164 would be your only problem as you don't have 101 done. So one course at a disadvantage vs saving a year of your life, I think it's worth it to go for the one year!

Yes, you only need a 90. In fact, I was registered by the department for CHEM 164 in fall of last year, (I think you have to e-mail Christie McDermott) but then I dropped it because the faculty advisor told me not to take it.

Anyhow, I do know someone who did this, and she came out alright at the end. Just try hard, and you should be good. You will be in CHEM 263 and BIOCH 200 in Winter along with three other pre-requisites which will be difficult but if you want it bad and you're smart (which I think you are!) the saved time and money is worth it.

I'm applying to Pharmacy for 2013/14 cycle as well so I hope we both get in. :D I have done 7 of the pre-requisites, but need to do 1 more English, CHEM 263 and BIOCH 200.

Good luck!

Archived