Premed 101 Forums

GPA rounding

+1 ^

Once you input all your grades, you'll get a cumulative GPA calculated for you at the end. If it's 3.75, then it will be rounded up to 3.8

Can anyone link to where you found this? So, if a student had years at 3.94 and 3.96, they would round to a 4.0 because the average cGPA is 3.95 exactly?

Can anyone link to where you found this? So, if a student had years at 3.94 and 3.96, they would round to a 4.0 because the average cGPA is 3.95 exactly?

Yes, this is found under the FAQ section on the dal med admission site

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/faqs.htm

Will my GPA be rounded?

Your GPA is rounded to the nearest tenth

We had to input our grades?! I thought we only had to input our MCAT scores. This is such a fail if I've messed up this early in the game. Don't they get our grades from our transcripts?

For the record, I've only completed step 1, is this in step 2?

• 4 months later...

If you are out of province and need to meet the minimum GPA (3.7) for each of the two consecutive years being considered...

Will my GPA be rounded?

Your GPA is rounded to the nearest tenth.

So does this apply to individual year GPA for the purposes of minimums that are required for each relevant year of studies?

Let's say you have 3.66 in third year and 3.76 in fourth year. Is third year rounded to 3.7, fourth year rounded to 3.8, and both years averaged to 3.75, leading to a final application GPA of 3.8?

Or would third year be rounded to 3.7, fourth year rounded to 3.8, and then the average of 3.66 and 3.76 = 3.71, rounded to 3.7?

Or do they consider 3.66 to be below 3.7 and throw out your application because the requirement of each relevant year having a GPA above of at least 3.7?

Thanks

If you are out of province and need to meet the minimum GPA (3.7) for each of the two consecutive years being considered...

Or do they consider 3.66 to be below 3.7 and throw out your application because the requirement of each relevant year having a GPA above of at least 3.7?

Thanks

This. You need to meet the 3.7 before rounding in each year individually. I had to delay applying to Dal for a year for this very reason.

This. You need to meet the 3.7 before rounding in each year individually. I had to delay applying to Dal for a year for this very reason.

I believe that you can meet the 3.7 for each year after rounding, I received an OOP interview this year with a 3rd year GPA of 3.68. So there is hope for OOP who dont have stellar grades (my 4th year GPA was 3.75 and my masters GPA is 3.9).

^ Can people who are contradicting nowitzki41's experience with rounding please mention/paste their sources. Thanks!

Nowitzki41: is it possible that the best 3 out of 4 years of your degree rather than your last two years were used? I.e. were your first and second years higher than your third year (the 3.68) and thus used with your 4th year 3.75?

From the admissions website:

An applicant's best 3 years out of 4 year of full time study could also be considered, if the degree program has been completed.

I dont believe this is the case, my first two years were also below 3.7. Also, when I had applied out undergrad my rejection email said that i had made the OOP minimum requirements.

Nowitzki41: is it possible that the best 3 out of 4 years of your degree rather than your last two years were used? I.e. were your first and second years higher than your third year (the 3.68) and thus used with your 4th year 3.75?

From the admissions website:

An applicant's best 3 years out of 4 year of full time study could also be considered, if the degree program has been completed.

Archived