Premed 101 Forums

TPR Practice exams / Condensed study topics

Mustang92

Hey all,

I started writing practice exams with 3 weeks of studying left.

I write on the 23rd of August, and I've written 3 so far.

My first test was AAMC 10, in which i got a 8 in ps (pure luck), 11 in vr and 10 in bio with a P in writing. The test gave me a false sense of confidence so I wrote another 2 days later (TPR 1) resulting in a 7(ps) 9(vr) 11(bs; in both senses). I was happy that my bio score went up but i knew it was semi-fluke; what worried me was the VR drop (as I knew I was weak in PS). Two days later I wrote TPR 2 and ended with a 6/9/9. I feel that the TPR tests were harder than AAMC, but I've only written one so I'm not sure if I can judge yet. I've also heard that these TPR exams are more specific on the verbal sections, and that the AAMC verbal sections are more representative of the actual verbal section on the MCAT. I'm not too shocked at the negative trend as I mostly didn't work on areas I was deficient in, inbetween tests (not completely done all around content review); but it still is a wound to the ego, especially after that first test.

My goal right now is to continue pumping out physical science prep, foregoing bio until later (I feel like memorization and rote review can be productive in this section under time pressure), and get most of my verbal practice from a couple passages a day/ practice tests. I know electricity/magnetism will be very tough to master, for me, although optics will be decent. However I also have yet to practice incorporating concrete examples into my WS (havent gotten my graded essays back from the TPR tests yet) and i haven't done much of the physiology component of the Bio yet. Organic chem is ok for me as I have just come out of courses in the field, but I could also use practice in lab techniques/NMR etc.

I know this is a kind of "all cards on the table" post, but what do you guys think would be the highest yield study strategy/target areas for my immediate attention? I realize I have about 2 weeks at best before I should crank straight practice tests in the last week; I just want to know what the best use of my time would be from here on out. Also any feedback on the relative accuracy/difficulty of the TPR exams compared to AAMC (for a 2nd opinion) and to the actual MCAT would be most appreciated.

Good luck studying everyone!

Archived