Premed 101 Forums

uofa not trying?

Guest cpltanto

Guest cpltanto

Honestly, I'm getting turned off by UofA's lack of organization or car for their admissions process. Both UofC and Western were very prompt in letting know all their applicants if they were accepted/rejected/waitlisted... i got accepted, but i feel sorry for all those who are dying in the limbo stage

Not only that, their interview process was weak, worst impression of all the schools i interviewed at :( ...

even as an accepted student, there was no info provided...just an e-mail and a letter about the deposit. UofC has given us info on LOC, bursaries, housing/transport, contact info, timetables (schedule for everyday for the coming year), breakdown for orientation week, etc...granted you can find some material if you fish through their website, but should be made easily accessible or pointed out for their accepted prospective students (UofC has a seperate area for their prospective class of 2009)

UofA is a better ranked school so maybe they think they dont need to try as hard to get ppl to come, but this is gonna bite them in a few years... UofA is home, but i'm voicing this concern to hopefully produce some change for the future

Guest PreyOnWords

cpltanto,

I have to totally agree with you on this one. I was really excited to receive my acceptance letter to see what accompanied it, only to be hit with a single paged acceptance letter and a large deposit. And yes, during the interview process I was surprised to see a lack of enthusiasm (in opposition to what I saw in Calgary).

I believe that if they expect you to sell yourself during an interview, the opposite should also be true. Nonetheless, I look forward to attending uofA this fall. Hopefully, some more information arrives in the mail this summer.......

Guest MegaDreamer

I have been accepted to U of A but I still haven't received my hard copy offer by snail mail. Perhaps that's because I'm in Ottawa...

However, I have to disagree about the enthusiasm during the interview process. I found the med students to be extremely enthusiastic, and eager to make us feel relaxed on interview day. My billeter even showed me around the city, and drove me to the airport. U of A med students were among the most helpful and enthusiastic of all the medical schools I interviewed at.

Guest el pansito

megadreamer congrats on your OOP acceptance.

Being a UofA student, I know that it's a very academic school, and the reality is, Edmonton is probably the best place right now in Canada to be in healthcare or medical research, the amount of money in this center is disgusting.

The UofA interview process I found pretty dry, but I can't judge it against other schools, because being a UofA student I skipped out on all the optional stuff and left as soon as I could. When I went to interview at other schools I was like a kid in a candy store, just so excited to be at a new university and see a new medical setting, so my experiences OOP were naturally more exciting and fun.

I feel UofA has a different atmosphere just because for most students it's a commuter campus and it empties out after 4pm, but that's the way it goes. I'm sure it's still a wicked place to study medicine, and like most med schools they allow you to craft your own medical experience through summer options, electives etc, so it's what you make of it wherever you go.

EP

Guest loud noises

I just wanted to share my experience as well...I just finished my undergrad here at the U of A, so even though I know my way around the campus and know some of the 1st year med students, I went to the optional things. I had a blast when I showed up at the RATT dinner/get together evening two days before my interview- the med students were really helpful in sharing their experiences and helping me relax before I had to be interrogated:p I went into the process pretending as if I was new to the school, and by the end of it I was impressed and sold. So, I guess everyone had very different subjective experiences, not only at UA but also at other schools- one of the other schools I interviewed at, I had a very negative experience and did not feel the enthusiasm that even right now others are raving about....like they say, different strokes for different folks:rollin

Archived